Jenkins leads No. 18 Vanderbilt past NC StateNov 20, 2011 - 4:56 AM East Rutherford, NJ (Sports Network) - John Jenkins had 28 points and hit a big three-pointer late in the contest to help No. 18 Vanderbilt take an 86-79 win over North Carolina State in the championship round of the Legends Classic.
Jeffrey Taylor had 17 points and his tip-in shot with just over two minutes to play put the Commodores (3-1) up for good.
Vanderbilt, which has won its past two after dropping a game to Cleveland State this past Sunday, advances to play Oregon State in the final on Monday.
Richard Howell had 16 points and nine rebounds, while Lorenzo Brown added 13 points, six assists and four rebounds for the Wolfpack (3-1), who lost for the first time under Mark Gottfried.
The game was close throughout and five straight points from the Wolfpack capped on a Howell slam put the team up, 75-74, with 3 1/2 minutes to play.
After Jenkins and DeShawn Painter exchanged baskets, Taylor put in a layup to give the Commodores a 78-77 advantage.
Brown then missed a three-pointer with Steve Tchiengang grabbing the defensive board. Jenkins countered with a three-ball for an 81-77 lead with just over a minute to play.
From there, NC State went to fouls with Vanderbilt hitting its free throws and the Wolfpack unable to make any baskets.
The Commodores scored the first six points of the game, but North Carolina State was able to keep it close, despite never taking the lead in the first half.
Tinsley's three-pointer to close the first half gave Vanderbilt a 49-45 lead at the break and things stayed close throughout the second half.
Vanderbilt has won three of the four meetings with North Carolina State...Vanderbilt connected on 51.9 percent of its shots, while the Wolfpack shot 50 percent...Vanderbilt edged North Carolina State on the boards, 36-34.
- VANDERBILT: 86
NORTH CAROLINA STATE: 79
Nov 19 8:31 PM
- VANDERBILT: 49
NORTH CAROLINA STATE: 45
Nov 19 7:25 PM
- VANDERBILT: 0
NORTH CAROLINA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 19 7:04 PM
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- New Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew announces his staff Apr 26
- Vanderbilt junior center Damian Jones entering NBA Draft Apr 14
- Bryce Drew wants to be 1st to take Vanderbilt to Final 4 Apr 6
- Vandy sophomore guard Wade Baldwin IV entering NBA draft Apr 5
- Vanderbilt using Fogler, not search firm to find new coach Mar 28
- Stallings gone, Vanderbilt to start search for new coach Mar 27
- Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State Mar 24
- NC State junior Anthony 'Cat' Barber to remain in NBA draft Mar 22