Jenkins guides Vanderbilt over MonmouthNov 26, 2011 - 6:22 AM Nashville, TN (Sports Network) - John Jenkins netted a team-high 18 points, leading 18th-ranked Vanderbilt to a thorough 95-73 victory over winless Monmouth at Memorial Gym.
Jeffery Taylor and Brad Tinsley each chipped in 16 points for the Commodores (5-1), winners of four straight since a surprising loss to Cleveland State.
Jesse Steele donated 25 points and Ed Waite added 15 for Monmouth (0-6).
The meeting featured Vanderbilt's Kevin Stallings matching wits with former assistant, King Rice, who is in his first year as head coach of the Hawks.
"It was great playing against [Rice]. He's part of the reason I came to Vanderbilt. It was great seeing him again," Taylor said of his former coach.
The apprentice watched the Legends Classic champs hit 68 percent from the field in the first half, including an 8-for-13 effort from behind the arc.
Kyle Fuller drained a jumper to cap a 12-2 spurt for a 21-7 lead early on, and Dai-Jon Parker and Tinsley hit consecutive three-pointers a little later to jump-start a half-ending 13-5 run.
The stretch put Vanderbilt on top, 50-27, at the break, and the closest the Hawks had it in the second half was 11.
Parker and Josh Henderson each scored 10 points for the Commodores, who wound up hitting 11-of-25 from three-point range...Austin Tillotson tallied 11 points for the Hawks, whose bench was outscored, 34-11.
- New Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew announces his staff Apr 26
- Vanderbilt junior center Damian Jones entering NBA Draft Apr 14
- Bryce Drew wants to be 1st to take Vanderbilt to Final 4 Apr 6
- Vandy sophomore guard Wade Baldwin IV entering NBA draft Apr 5
- Vanderbilt using Fogler, not search firm to find new coach Mar 28
- Stallings gone, Vanderbilt to start search for new coach Mar 27
- After 17 seasons, Stallings' future at Vanderbilt in doubt Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Vandy fined $100,000 for storming court after Kentucky game Feb 29
- Monmouth basketball coach King Rice has new 5-year contract Feb 26
- Big swing: Stumbling Vanderbilt revives NCAA tourney hopes Feb 25
- Born with broken ankle, Monmouth guard beating doubters Feb 18