Indiana State downs No. 25 VanderbiltDec 18, 2011 - 1:52 AM Indiana State to a 61-55 win over No. 25 Vanderbilt at Memorial Gym.
R.J. Mahurin scored 14 points to pace the Sycamores (8-2), who closed the game on a 16-2 run. Carl Richard and Jordan Printy both had 11 points and five rebounds in the win.
Jeffery Taylor finished with a game-high 21 points for Vanderbilt (6-4), which has dropped three of four.
"We missed free throws. We missed jump shots...we didn't play well the whole game," Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings said. "The start of both halves was indicative of our mindset."
Lance Goulbourne was fouled on a layup and his free throw put the Commodores up 53-45 with 6:31 remaining. Dwayne Lathan nailed a jumper to ignite Indiana State's game-sealing run, and the Sycamores led 57-53 when Odum fed Richard underneath the basket for a high-percentage shot with 1:05 to play.
After a Taylor layup, Odum drained a mid-range jumper with 16.7 seconds left. Taylor was off the mark at the other end of the floor and Odum capped the scoring at the foul line.
"I was worried some. We've done that a lot, letting opponents come back," Indiana coach Greg Lansing said. "We calmed down on the offensive end and that helped us be a better defense. We've been guilty of poor offense leading to poor defense. Having the ball in Odum's hands at the end makes me feel comfortable."
In the first half, it was the Sycamores who squandered a lead.
Indiana State scored 16 of the game's first 20 points, but Taylor knocked down a trey to put Vanderbilt on top 19-18 with just under 5 1/2 minutes remaining. The teams were deadlocked at 28 at halftime.
The Sycamores, once again, started a frame strong, building a 38-29 lead in the second half before Vanderbilt rallied to go up 48-43.
Indiana State shot 52 percent in the second half after making 36 percent of its shots during the first 20 minutes...Vanderbilt was held to 38 percent shooting...Brad Tinsley contributed 12 points and six boards for the Commodores.
- INDIANA STATE: 61
Dec 17 7:26 PM
- INDIANA STATE: 28
Dec 17 6:16 PM
- INDIANA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 17 5:36 PM
- New Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew announces his staff Apr 26
- Vanderbilt junior center Damian Jones entering NBA Draft Apr 14
- Bryce Drew wants to be 1st to take Vanderbilt to Final 4 Apr 6
- Vandy sophomore guard Wade Baldwin IV entering NBA draft Apr 5
- Vanderbilt using Fogler, not search firm to find new coach Mar 28
- Stallings gone, Vanderbilt to start search for new coach Mar 27
- After 17 seasons, Stallings' future at Vanderbilt in doubt Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Vandy fined $100,000 for storming court after Kentucky game Feb 29
- Big swing: Stumbling Vanderbilt revives NCAA tourney hopes Feb 25
- Indiana State athletic director resigns after 11-year tenure Dec 19
- No. 21 Vanderbilt blows 16-point lead, loses 72-67 to Dayton Dec 10