Vanderbilt takes down No. 14 MarquetteDec 30, 2011 - 8:38 AM Vanderbilt took down No. 14 Marquette, 74-57.
John Jenkins had 14 points and Brad Tinsley added 11 points and eight assists for the Commodores (9-4), who have won three straight.
"Obviously we're real pleased to come in here and get a win," said Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings. "It's not an easy thing to do. Our team played exceptionally well."
Jae Crowder scored 16 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for the Golden Eagles (11-2), who have dropped two of their last three. Darius Johnson-Odom had 12 points and Todd Mayo added 10 in the loss.
"I thought it was by far the worst home contest we've had since we've been here," said Marquette coach Buzz Williams.
Marquette got the first basket of the game on a Davante Gardner layup, but went close to nine minutes without another basket, allowing Vanderbilt to build a 19-6 lead.
Following a Johnson-Odom jumper, the Commodores scored the next 12 points and eventually took a 44-22 lead into the break.
Johnson-Odom scored five straight points early in the second half to make it a 46-29 game, but Vanderbilt responded with the next six.
Marquette was unable to get closer than 16 the rest of the way.
Marquette shot just 21.2 percent in the first half and 32.2 percent for the game...Vanderbilt shot 46.9 percent from the floor...Marquette hosts Villanova on New Year's Day...Vanderbilt hosts Miami-Ohio on January 2.
- VANDERBILT: 74
Dec 29 11:06 PM
- VANDERBILT: 44
Dec 29 10:02 PM
- VANDERBILT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 29 9:09 PM
- New Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew announces his staff Apr 26
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Vanderbilt junior center Damian Jones entering NBA Draft Apr 14
- Bryce Drew wants to be 1st to take Vanderbilt to Final 4 Apr 6
- Vandy sophomore guard Wade Baldwin IV entering NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Vanderbilt using Fogler, not search firm to find new coach Mar 28
- Stallings gone, Vanderbilt to start search for new coach Mar 27
- After 17 seasons, Stallings' future at Vanderbilt in doubt Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Vandy fined $100,000 for storming court after Kentucky game Feb 29