Gibbs leads Pitt over Robert MorrisNov 28, 2011 - 6:48 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Ashton Gibbs scored 21 points to lead the 17th-ranked Pittsburgh Panthers over the Robert Morris Colonials, 81-71.
Tray Woodall added 12 points and 10 assists for the Panthers (5-1), who captured the Philly HoopGroup Classic title. Cameron Wright tallied 13 points and Talib Zanna chipped in with 10 points and 15 rebounds.
"He looked at times as though he was playing volleyball on the glass by himself," Robert Morris head coach Andrew Toole said about Zanna's rebounding.
Cordon Williams ended with 19 points for the Colonials (4-2), who had a two- game win streak snapped. Russell Johnson donated 17 points and eight boards.
Ahead by four, 12-8, the Panthers ripped off seven straight points to create some distance. Wright's layup and dunk made it a 19-8 contest with 11 1/2 minutes left in the first half.
Pittsburgh scored six unanswered points moments later to take a 28-12 edge. The margin was 42-25 at the half.
Robert Morris outscored the Panthers 46-39 in the second half, but never got closer than eight.
"I was really happy about how we played, especially in the first half," Pittsburgh head coach Jamie Dixon said. "I wish we could have finished a little better, but we knew Robert Morris was going to battle. That is what they do, they play hard and get after it no matter the score."
Pittsburgh has won all 30 games in this series...The Panthers shot 48.1 percent from the field, while the Colonials made 37.3 percent of their shots...Khem Birch had six blocks for Pittsburgh.
- ROBERT MORRIS: 71
Nov 27 7:06 PM
- ROBERT MORRIS: 25
Nov 27 5:56 PM
- ROBERT MORRIS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 27 5:06 PM
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27
- Struggling Pittsburgh searching for consistency Feb 19
- Young, Jeter lead Pitt past St. Joseph's (Ind), 84-43 Nov 17
- Buffalo rolls over Div. III Pitt-Bradford 109-49 Nov 14
- Pitt faces stiff test in opener against No. 9 Gonzaga Nov 12
- Pittsburgh Preview Capsule Oct 26
- Pitt Panthers looking to get back to basics Oct 26