Robinson, No. 17 Pitt top TennesseeDec 4, 2011 - 1:33 AM
Ashton Gibbs also scored 16 points for the Panthers (7-1), who got eight points apiece from Lamar Patterson, Dante Taylor and John Johnson.
Pittsburgh has won five straight since an 86-76 loss to Long Beach State on November 16.
Cameron Tatum had 13 points and 10 rebounds for the Volunteers (3-4), who have dropped four of five. Jeronne Maymon and Trae Golden both contributed 12 points in defeat.
"It was one of those fun games that I really like being a part of. Unfortunately we came up short," said Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin.
Golden drained a three-pointer with 11.6 seconds remaining to pull Tennessee within two at 58-56. Taylor missed a free throw and the Volunteers had an opportunity to tie the game or move ahead, but Golden got tied up by Gibbs. The possession arrow was in the favor of the Panthers, and Johnson make a fastbreak layup as he was being fouled with 1.8 seconds left. He made the free throw to complete the scoring.
"I think we grounded it out and that was good to see," said Pittsburgh head coach Jamie Dixon. "We had to get stops down the stretch and that's what we did. We fought through some adversity and some foul trouble early and made the right plays. So there were some very good performances by a lot of guys."
A tightly-contested first half ended with Pittsburgh holding a 27-26 lead.
This game was part of the Big East/SEC Challenge...Gibbs totaled six assists, five rebounds and three steals...Kenny Hall posted eight points and 12 boards for Tennessee...Pittsburgh made just 3-of-9 free throws.
- PITTSBURGH: 61
Dec 3 7:15 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 27
Dec 3 6:06 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 3 5:23 PM
- Forward Lew Evans transferring from Utah State to Tennessee May 12
- Forward Ray Kasongo leaving Tennessee after 1 season Apr 21
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Tennessee optimistic about future after rare losing season Mar 12
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Tennessee's Kevin Punter Jr. to have season-ending surgery Mar 4
- Tennessee relying more on its freshmen late in season Feb 29
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27
- Tennessee head coaches will hold rare joint press conference Feb 22