Bryant leads Bulldogs over WarhawksNov 22, 2011 - 4:40 AM Starkville, MS (Sports Network) - Brian Bryant scored 17 points and pulled down 10 rebounds, as the 24th-ranked Mississippi State Bulldogs held off the ULM Warhawks, 78-63.
Dee Bost added 21 points and five assists for the Bulldogs (5-1), who are off to their first 5-1 start since the 2008-09 season. Rodney Hood donated 20 points and eight boards.
"Like I said before, our team is very versatile this year," Bost said. "I don't have all the pressure on me this year like I did in previous years. It feels good to have other guys that I know I can depend on Brian and Rodney."
Mississippi State was fresh of its 2K Sports Challenge Championship, beating Texas A&M and Arizona to win the title.
Fred Brown ended with 21 points for the Warhawks (0-5), who got 13 points from Marcelis Hansberry.
ULM used an 8-0 run to grab a 23-15 lead with under 8 1/2 minutes to play in the first half.
But the Bulldogs scored the next 14 points to take their first lead of the game. Hood's layup made it a 29-23 game with 1 1/2 minutes to go. Hood made a jumper following Brown's three-pointer to give Mississippi State a 31-26 margin at the break.
The Warhawks hung around early in the second half, and actually took a 41-39 lead on Hansberry's jumper with 14:13 to play.
The Bulldogs responded in a big way with an 18-1 run. Deville Smith and Bost bookended the surge with three-pointers to make it a 57-42 contest at the midway point.
MSU has a 13-2 advantage in the all-time series versus the Warhawks and has won nine straight...Mississippi State was without starting forwards Renardo Sidney and Arnett Moultrie.
- LOUISIANA-MONROE: 63
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 78
Nov 21 9:35 PM
- LOUISIANA-MONROE: 26
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 31
Nov 21 8:44 PM
- LOUISIANA-MONROE: 0
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 21 8:06 PM
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- Minnesota beats Louisiana-Monroe 67-56 Nov 15
- Louisiana-Monroe cruises over McMurry 88-43 in opener Nov 13
- Mississippi St Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Mississippi State pins turnaround hopes on Newman, Howland Oct 29
- Loyola-Chicago beats ULM for CBI title Apr 1
- Ramblers seek CBI crown in showdown with Warhawks Apr 1
- Loyola beats ULM in CBI opener Mar 30
- Howland named Mississippi State basketball coach Mar 23