No. 21 Mississippi State pulls away from West VirginiaDec 4, 2011 - 6:43 AM Mississippi State pulled away in the second half for a 75-62 win over West Virginia on Saturday.
Jalen Steele added 10 points and Moultrie pulled down 13 rebounds for the Bulldogs (8-1), who have won seven games in a row since falling to Akron on November 9.
Kevin Jones and Deniz Kilicli scored 14 points apiece for West Virginia (4-2), while Darryl Bryant chipped in 13. The Mountaineers had a three-game winning streak snapped in their first true road game of the season.
Head coach Bob Huggins said he was "worried" about his team.
"Mississippi State is a good team," he said. "My team sucks right now."
The contest was part of the Big East/SEC Challenge.
After shooting 52 percent in the first half to carry a 34-32 lead into the break, Mississippi State used a 23-10 run at the end of the game to pull away.
"I thought our kids did well in the second half and dug in when the game was on the line," said Mississippi State head coach Rick Stansbury.
It was tied, 52-52, on a Kilicli layup with about eight minutes remaining. But Moultrie scored four straight points to spark the burst and Bost threw down a dunk moments later to make it 60-54.
Steele's three-pointer inside three minutes pushed the Mississippi State lead to double digits at 67-57 and the Bulldogs took their largest lead on a pair of Renardo Sidney free throws that made it 75-59 with about a minute left.
It was only the second time the teams ever met. In the first, West Virginia beat Mississippi State, 63-62, in the 2007 NIT semifinals.
The Bulldogs were coming off a historic November: They won seven games in the month for the first time in program history...Mississippi State is off to its best start since opening the 2003-04 season 13-0.
- WEST VIRGINIA: 62
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 75
Dec 3 11:11 PM
- WEST VIRGINIA: 32
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 34
Dec 3 10:04 PM
- WEST VIRGINIA: 0
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 3 9:16 PM
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- Press Virginia meets its match, ousted by Stephen F. Austin Mar 18
- Pressure! West Virginia, Stephen F Austin match frenetic D Mar 17
- WVU's goggled junior Devin Williams has opened some eyes Mar 15
- West Virginia's deep bench led by top scorer Jaysean Paige Feb 25
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- West Virginia dedicates statue to "Hot Rod" Hundley Feb 20
- West Virginia forward Jonathan Holton reinstated to team Feb 11
- Huggins critical of team after No. 9 WVU loses at Florida Jan 30
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- Mississippi St Preview Capsule Oct 29