No. 18 Mississippi State bedevils Northwestern StateDec 23, 2011 - 3:56 AM Jackson, MS (Sports Network) - Arnett Moultrie dropped 24 points and pulled down 14 rebounds as No. 18 Mississippi State rolled past Northwestern State, 82-67, on Thursday.
Wendell Lewis scored 14 points and Rodney Hood added 11 points and six rebounds for the Bulldogs (12-1), who have won 11 straight games since losing to Akron on November 9.
Shamir Davis led the Demons (7-6) with 15 points and Louis Ellis added 13 points. Gary Stewart finished with 12 for Northwestern State, which had its three-game winning streak halted.
Northwestern State kept it close early and trailed 13-9 just over six minutes into the game. But Mississippi State began to assert its superiority, going on a 13-0 run to expand the lead to 26-9 with under 10 minutes to play in the opening half. A layup by Stewart stopped the run.
The Bulldogs then outscored Northwestern State, 13-8, over the next five-plus minutes of action to lead 39-19 with less than four minutes to go. They led 41-27 at the break.
Northwestern State began the second half with a 12-4 run over the opening four-plus minutes to make it a six-point game. But he Bulldogs used an 11-1 run to go up 16, 56-40, with just under 13 minutes to go in the game.
A three-pointer by Hood with just over two minutes to play put the Bulldogs up 19, 82-63, and they rolled to the easy victory.
The Bulldogs have won 12 of their first 13 games for the sixth time in program history...Mississippi State shot 45 percent from the floor, while the Demons shot 43 percent...Northwestern State turned the ball over 15 times, to only 11 for Mississippi State...Mississippi State's Dee Bost ended with eight points, four steals and three assists.
- NORTHWESTERN STATE: 67
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 82
Dec 22 9:41 PM
- NORTHWESTERN STATE: 27
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 41
Dec 22 8:48 PM
- NORTHWESTERN STATE: 0
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 22 8:03 PM
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- Mississippi St Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Mississippi State pins turnaround hopes on Newman, Howland Oct 29
- Howland named Mississippi State basketball coach Mar 23
- Mississippi State fires Ray after 3 seasons Mar 21
- UK routs Mississippi State to stay unbeaten Feb 25
- Top-ranked Wildcats continue run against Bulldogs Feb 25
- Arkansas holds on for 6th straight win Feb 21
- Bulldogs and Razorbacks meet in SEC showdown Feb 21