Arkansas knocks off Mississippi StateJan 8, 2012 - 6:55 AM Arkansas convincingly knocked off No. 15 Mississippi State, 98-88, in the SEC opener for both teams.
Nobles made four three-pointers and Young connected on 10-of-13 from the floor, highlighting a 57-percent shooting effort for the Razorbacks, (12-3, 1-0 SEC). Michael Sanchez and Mardracus Wade donated 12 points apiece in Arkansas' seventh straight win.
"It was a great win against a great team," Young said. "It was a great, total team win."
Deville Smith had 25 points and Dee Bost scored 21 points to lead the Bulldogs 13-3, 0-1), who committed 18 turnovers in their second loss in three games.
Arkansas led by as many as 10 in the first half and took a 43-37 lead into the intermission.
The Razorbacks extended the lead to 55-41 after back-to-back three-pointers by Nobles and Young less than four minutes after the break.
Young scored seven points on a 9-2 run a little later, pushing the margin to 66-47 with 13 minutes to play.
The Bulldogs cut the deficit to 79-68 with seven minutes remaining, but turned the ball over during their next two possessions. Nobles' three-point play on the ensuing touch ignited a 9-2 spurt that essentially put the game away.
Arkansas has won 11 straight at home...Mississippi State had won six of the previous seven meetings, including a pair last season...Rodney Hood logged 17 points in the setback.
- MISSISSIPPI STATE: 88
Jan 7 10:59 PM
- MISSISSIPPI STATE: 37
Jan 7 9:49 PM
- MISSISSIPPI STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 7 9:05 PM
- Kingsley withdraws name from NBA draft, returns to Arkansas May 9
- Arkansas' Kingsley enters NBA draft, won't hire agent Apr 12
- Whitt transferring from Arkansas after freshman season Mar 30
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- Anderson has NCAA tourney in sights next season for Arkansas Mar 22
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Arkansas reeling, postseason unlikely, following latest loss Feb 19
- Arkansas' Hannahs ready to face former school, Texas Tech Jan 30
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Arkansas' Bell flourishing in expanded role for Razorbacks Jan 9
- Beard set to make return to action for Arkansas after arrest Dec 17
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17