Mississippi State holds off TennesseeJan 13, 2012 - 7:53 AM Tennessee.
Bost made a three-pointer for a 59-53 lead with just over three minutes left in regulation, but missed jumpers on the Bulldogs' next two possessions.
Kenny Hall dunked off an inbounds pass to pull Tennessee within four, and after Arnett Moultrie made 1-of-2 from the foul line at the other end, Renaldo Woolridge drained a three-pointer with 44.2 seconds remaining to cut the deficit to two.
Bost's ill-advised pass was picked off by Skylar McBee to give the Volunteers a chance to tie or take the lead, but Bost made up for his sixth turnover by picking Trae Golden's pocket at midcourt and throwing down a one-handed slam.
"I was sizing it up, about to attack and make the play and I slipped," justified Golden. "My left foot slipped from under me, lost the ball and (we) lost the game."
Bost, who shot 3-for-11, finished with 13 points, as did Moultrie and Renardo Sidney for Mississippi State (14-3, 1-1 SEC).
"We shared the ball well and it showed on the scoreboard," Moultrie said. "I was glad we were able to stop their momentum tonight."
Golden netted 20 points to pace the Volunteers (8-8, 1-1), who had won five of six coming in, including a win over nationally-ranked Florida last Saturday.
Mississippi State scored nine of the last 11 points in the first half and never trailed in the final 20 minutes.
The Bulldogs led by as many as 10 in the second half, but went nearly eight minutes without a field goal to let the Vols back in it.
Jordan McRae's layup off a turnover cut Tennessee's deficit to 51-47 with 7 1/2 minutes left, and it was a two-possession game from there.
MSU was coming off a 10-point loss at Arkansas on Saturday...Jeronne Maymon and Hall scored 13 and 12 points, respectively, for the Vols, who went to the foul line just seven times and made five...The Bulldogs shot 13-of-17 from the charity stripe.
- TENNESSEE: 58
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 62
Jan 13 12:24 AM
- TENNESSEE: 0
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 12 9:06 PM
- Forward Lew Evans transferring from Utah State to Tennessee May 12
- Forward Ray Kasongo leaving Tennessee after 1 season Apr 21
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- Tennessee optimistic about future after rare losing season Mar 12
- Tennessee's Kevin Punter Jr. to have season-ending surgery Mar 4
- Tennessee relying more on its freshmen late in season Feb 29
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Tennessee head coaches will hold rare joint press conference Feb 22
- Tennessee falls below .500, second-half collapses a concern Feb 1
- Vols' Moore finds ways to contribute amid scoring slump Jan 25
- Lack of height has Tennessee relying on small-ball lineup Jan 19
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15