Moultrie lifts No. 22 Mississippi State over AuburnFeb 5, 2012 - 1:42 AM Auburn.
Renardo Sidney had 17 points, Dee Bost added 15 points with seven assists and Jalen Steele had 13 points off the bench for the Bulldogs (18-5, 5-3 SEC), who bounced back from a loss to Florida last Saturday.
"We had things going a lot of different ways tonight," said Mississippi State head coach Rick Stansbury. "We had five guys in double figures and you'll win a bunch of games if you get scoring from that many people."
Kenny Gabriel had 22 points and 11 rebounds while Frankie Sullivan added 16 points for the Tigers (13-10, 3-6), who have dropped three of four. Varez Ward had 24 points and five assists in the loss.
Near the midway point of the second half, the Bulldogs held a 13-point lead on a Moultrie dunk, but the Tigers got a layup and three-pointer from Sullivan and Allen Payne followed with a dunk to make it a 68-62 game.
Two free throws from Gabriel with nine minutes to play made it a 69-64 game, but Moultrie and Sidney followed with a pair of free throws each.
It stayed close the rest of the way and Payne made it a four-point game on a jumper late in the contest as the score was 88-84, but Shaun Smith made his two from the line.
A quick layup from Sullivan was followed by a Moultrie free throw and Sullivan was then fouled on a three-pointer, but he made just two of his three shots and it was 91-88 with 0.2 seconds to play.
The Tigers led early, but Rodney Hood hit a three-pointer and Moultrie followed with a pair of baskets for a 16-12 lead seven minutes in.
The game stayed close for the rest of the half, but Payne hit a pair of free throws and Gabriel made a three-pointer late in the half to give Auburn a 44-43 lead at the break.
Bost opened the second half with three straight three-pointers to give Mississippi State a lead it didn't relinquish the rest of the game.
Mississippi State hosts Ole Miss on Thursday...Auburn welcomes Alabama on Tuesday...Auburn still leads the series, 71-65, but the Bulldogs have taken 11 of the last 12 home encounters against the Tigers.
- AUBURN: 88
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 91
Feb 4 6:09 PM
- AUBURN: 44
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 43
Feb 4 4:46 PM
- AUBURN: 0
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 4 4:03 PM
- Auburn players Shamsid-Deen, Reed won't return next season May 6
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Pearl: Auburn's Kareem Canty leaves team, school to turn pro Feb 12
- Auburn will be without leading scorer against Tennessee Feb 8
- Auburn top scorer Kareem Canty suspended indefinitely Feb 6
- Pearl: Auburn's Cinmeon Bowers to return against LSU Feb 1
- Auburn's Bowers brings energy, rebounds back to lineup Jan 21
- Pearl: Auburn guard Shamsid-Deen out for season Jan 15
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- Auburn freshman guard Bryce Brown suspended for opener Nov 12