San Diego State takes down No. 23 ArizonaNov 24, 2011 - 6:23 AM Tucson, AZ (Sports Network) - Chase Tapley finished with 17 points and James Rahon added 13, helping San Diego State to a 61-57 upending of No. 23 Arizona at McKale Center.
While they shot just 5-of-15 from the free throw line, the Aztecs (6-1) made 8-of-12 from beyond the arc to win their third consecutive game. All of those victories have been close, coming by a combined 10 points.
Solomon Hill totaled 14 points for the Wildcats (4-2), who were coming off their first loss of the season, a 67-57 defeat at Mississippi State last Friday.
"We didn't have a lot of answers for San Diego State," said Arizona head coach Sean Miller. "They are a great, well coached team, and they came into a very difficult arena to win in, ready to play."
Despite the close final score, the Aztecs controlled most of the game. They began it with a 21-4 run that lasted nearly seven minutes and included 10 points from Tapley.
Arizona was forced to play catch-up and nearly drew even later in the half, using a 10-0 burst to get within 29-24. Hill's two free throws ended it with just under five minutes left.
The Wildcats were within 31-29 at the break, but San Diego State opened the second half with two baskets. The Aztecs stayed in front, holding on to the lead until they could create some breathing room again.
Tapley kicked off another run with a jumper, while Jamaal Franklin followed with back-to-back three-pointers. Tim Shelton's layup with a little more than 11 minutes remaining capped the rally and made it a 54-41 contest.
Arizona was still down by multiple possessions down the stretch and missed most of its shots in the final three minutes.
Arizona holds a 20-7 advantage in the series, but the Aztecs have won the last two. They are just 2-14 all-time in games played in Tucson...Arizona made just 5-of-26 three-pointers...Nick Johnson and Josiah Turner both had 10 points for the Wildcats.
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 61
Nov 23 10:24 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 31
Nov 23 9:20 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 23 8:36 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29