Florida tops Arizona in OTDec 8, 2011 - 4:14 AM Gainesville, FL (Sports Network) - Patric Young scored a career-high 25 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, and No. 12 Florida overcame a gaffe at the end of regulation to beat Arizona, 78-72, in overtime.
Erving Walker shot just 3-for-16 from the floor, but made two free throws in the closing seconds of regulation to give Florida a 66-63 lead.
After a timeout with five seconds remaining, Solomon Hill took the midcourt inbounds pass well behind the three-point line and appeared to raise his arms in a shooting motion. Casey Prather swiped at the ball and caught all arm, resulting in an ill-timed foul with 3.9 seconds left.
Hill made all three free throws to tie it, and Walker's try between halfcourt and the top of the key fell off the rim to force overtime.
Nevertheless, the Gators (6-2) held the Wildcats (6-3) to just two field goals in the extra five minutes while sealing the win at the free throw line.
Walker, who finished with 14 points and five assists, opened the overtime scoring with a jumper, then made 5-of-6 free throws over a series of possessions to extend the lead to 76-69 with 47 seconds left.
Brendon Lavender then missed a three-pointer in the Wildcats' fourth straight unsuccessful touch, and the Gators held on from there.
Arizona was led by Jesse Perry's 23 points and seven boards. The Wildcats committed 17 turnovers and were outrebounded 47-35.
Florida led by as many as seven in the first half, 14-7 eight minutes in, but the Wildcats stayed close and scored the final six points of the stanza, with Kevin Parrom's jumper just before the buzzer giving the visitors a 33-32 edge.
The lead changed hands several times in the second half, with Arizona holding a seven-point lead, 59-52, with six minutes left.
Florida scored the next seven points to tie it on a Kenny Boynton layup, and Young hit 1-of-2 free throws for a 62-61 lead with 2:06 to play.
Parrom's go-ahead layup off a Walker turnover preceded Young's putback with 14.2 seconds left in regulation.
Nick Johnson then dribbled the ball off his knee prior to Walker making two free throws for a three-point lead.
Arizona's Josiah Turner was suspended for Wednesday's game due to violations of team policy...Kyle Fogg and Parrom chipped in 19 and 13 points, respectively, in defeat...Boynton shot just 2-for-11 from the field and finished with nine points.
- ARIZONA: 72
Final - OT
Dec 7 9:22 PM
- ARIZONA: 66
End of Regulation
Dec 7 9:04 PM
- ARIZONA: 33
Dec 7 7:48 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 7 7:04 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9