Sacre guides Gonzaga past HawaiiNov 20, 2011 - 6:15 AM Vancouver, BC (Sports Network) - Robert Sacre, one of three Gonzaga players from Canada, posted 16 points and 10 rebounds to help the 22nd-ranked Bulldogs beat Hawaii, 73-54, in the B.C. Classic at Rogers Arena.
Sacre grew up less than 10 miles from Saturday's venue.
"I think I played good. I did what I had to do to help our team win and that's the biggest key," Sacre said about playing in his hometown.
Gary Bell had 14 points and Canadian-born Kevin Pangos scored 12 for Gonzaga (3-0), which also received 10 points from Marquise Carter.
Shaquille Stokes totaled 17 points to pace the Rainbow Warriors (1-1).
Hawaii led early on in the contest, but the Bulldogs used a 22-9 run to take control. Elias Harris capped the surge with a layup to put Gonzaga up 30-18. The Rainbow Warriors narrowed the deficit to 33-27 at halftime, then Stokes sank two free throws to draw Hawaii within one at 45-44.
Gonzaga scored the next seven points and eventually went up 71-52 on a Pangos three-pointer with about three minutes remaining.
Gonzaga holds a 3-1 series edge over Hawaii...Zane Johnson scored 12 points in defeat.
- Hawaii guard Aaron Valdes to turn professional Apr 7
- Gonzaga's Domantas Sabonis declares for NBA draft Apr 7
- Timeline: NCAA calls Zags coach to admit officiating error Apr 1
- Gonzaga loses 63-60 to Syracuse in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25
- Coach Mark Few wants Gonzaga to keep chip on its shoulder Mar 23
- Wiltjer helps deliver Gonzaga back to Sweet 16 Mar 21
- No. 13 seed Hawaii to play 4th-seeded Maryland Mar 19
- Air up there: Zags, Utah features rare meeting of big men Mar 18
- Zags: Gonzaga moves on with 68-52 victory over Seton Hall Mar 18
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- Gordon making history, but in a quiet way, for Seton Hall Mar 17