Lamb leads Kentucky rout of Penn StateNov 19, 2011 - 10:54 PM Uncasville, CT (Sports Network) - Doron Lamb scored 26 points as the No. 2 Kentucky Wildcats used a strong first half to rout the Penn State Nittany Lions, 85-47, in the semifinals of the Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament.
Kyle Wiltjer added 19 points and Terrence Jones chipped in 15 points and nine rebounds for the Wildcats (3-0), who will play Old Dominion in the championship game on Sunday after its 68-66 overtime win over South Florida on Saturday.
Tim Frazier scored 11 points and dished out six assists for Penn State (3-1), which won games against Hartford, Radford and Long Island to start the season. Penn State will play South Florida in the third-place game on Sunday.
"I think our young guys are going to grow up," Penn State coach Patrick Chambers said. "We'll keep working to get where we want to go and we'll use this as a learning experience. We just have to start trusting in our foundation and what it means to play Penn State basketball, playing hard, being gritty, being scrappy."
Kentucky erupted for a 25-4 run to close the first half and took a commanding 47-15 advantage into the locker room. Lamb led all first-half scorers with 17 points on 6-of-8 shooting.
The Nittany Lions made just 1-of-15 three-point attempts during the opening half, and went 11 1/2 minutes without a field goal.
The Wildcats led by as many 41 points in the second half en route to a dominating win.
Penn State finished the game shooting just 27 percent from the field, 4-of-12 from the foul line and 7-of-27 from beyond the arc.
Kentucky holds a 3-1 lead in the series, but Penn State won the previous meeting in 2000, 73-68, in Lexington...Kentucky shot 53 percent and sank 10- of-20 three-point attempts...It was the first game this season that Kentucky didn't have at least five players score in double figures...The Wildcats have held all three of their opponents to less than 34 percent shooting this season...Penn State shot 16 percent from the field in the first half.
- PENN STATE: 47
Nov 19 1:54 PM
- PENN STATE: 15
Nov 19 12:50 PM
- PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 19 12:04 PM
- Kentucky reserve G/F Charles Matthews requests transfer May 18
- Calipari plans to coach Kentucky 'the rest of my career' May 16
- Calipari: Defense, size will be Kentucky's initial strengths May 11
- Kentucky's Skal Labissiere announces plan to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Kentucky guard Jamal Murray says he will enter NBA draft Apr 1
- Calipari: All eligible Kentucky players to enter NBA draft Mar 23
- Kentucky's up-and-down season ends with early tourney exit Mar 20
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky falters, loses to Indiana 73-67 Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18
- Kentucky routs Stony Brook 85-57, gets Indiana next Mar 18
- No. 4 seed Kentucky opens NCAA Tournament vs. Stony Brook Mar 17