Jones, Kentucky roll over South CarolinaJan 7, 2012 - 11:31 PM Kentucky as the Wildcats took down South Carolina, 79-64, in the SEC opener for both teams.
Marquis Teague added 17 points and four assists, and Anthony Davis contributed his fifth consecutive double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds for Kentucky (15-1, 1-0 SEC), which won its seventh straight.
Damien Leonard had 15 points and Malik Cooke dropped in 11, while Anthony Gill and Damontre Harris each scored 10 for South Carolina (8-7, 0-1), which had its four-game win streak snapped.
South Carolina's lone lead of the game came early in the first half when the Gamecocks scored the first four points of the game.
But from there it was all Kentucky, as the Wildcats responded with a 9-3 run to take a lead they would hold for the remainder of the game.
Kentucky took a 34-18 advantage into the half as they shot 56.5 percent from the floor while holding South Carolina to 25 percent shooting, including a 1- for-10 mark from three-point range.
The Wildcats' lead broke 20 points three times through the first eight minutes of the second half before an 18-9 run by South Carolina trimmed the deficit to 62-50 with 7:40 to play.
But Kentucky responded with eight straight points to regain its 20-point lead and cruised to the finish.
Kentucky is 61-1 under head coach John Calipari when holding an opponent to 67 points or fewer...Doron Lamb had 10 points for Kentucky...Kentucky finished the game shooting 59.2 percent from the floor, while South Carolina shot just 39.1 percent...The Wildcats outscored the Gamecocks 48-26 in the paint.
- SOUTH CAROLINA: 64
Jan 7 5:51 PM
- SOUTH CAROLINA: 18
Jan 7 4:44 PM
- SOUTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 7 4:08 PM
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- Kentucky reserve G/F Charles Matthews requests transfer May 18
- Calipari plans to coach Kentucky 'the rest of my career' May 16
- Calipari: Defense, size will be Kentucky's initial strengths May 11
- Kentucky's Skal Labissiere announces plan to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Kentucky guard Jamal Murray says he will enter NBA draft Apr 1
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- Calipari: All eligible Kentucky players to enter NBA draft Mar 23
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- Kentucky's up-and-down season ends with early tourney exit Mar 20