Jones helps Kentucky take down LSUJan 29, 2012 - 1:21 AM
Anthony Davis had 16 points, 10 rebounds and three blocks for the Wildcats (21-1, 7-0 SEC), who have won 13 straight and are off to their best start in the SEC since 2005. Darius Miller chipped in 13 points.
"When he has it going, it makes it a lot easier for everyone else," Miller said of Jones. "It opens up everybody else because they are going to have to double team him."
Johnny O'Bryant had a team-high 12 points and nine boards while Storm Warren scored 11 for the Tigers (12-9, 2-5). They have lost three straight and six of eight.
Kentucky was up 24-14 on a Davis dunk with seven minutes to go in the first half. Seconds later, the lengthy freshman took an inadvertent Malcolm White knee to the head and was temporarily knocked from the game. The Tigers capitalized with a 10-1 run -- bookended by buckets from Warren -- to make it a one-point game.
With Davis back on the floor, the Wildcats closed the half with a 10-2 burst, getting their final five points from Jones, to take a 35-26 lead into the break.
They carried the momentum out of the locker room, scoring the first nine points of the second half to establish a commanding lead. Minutes later, Davis was on a breakaway when he was corralled and brought down from behind by White, who received a Flagrant 2 and was ejected for the act. Davis made 1- of-2 free throws, Jones hit a runner in the paint, the advantage reached 21 and Kentucky cruised from there.
"During the course of the second half, we just stopped fighting and competing," said LSU coach Trent Johnson. "That is the first time this season that I have seen that from this group. That sort of bothers me, it really bothers me."
The Wildcats are off to their best start in the SEC since the 2005 team won its first 10 SEC games... Kentucky holds an 81-24 advantage in the all-time series...Davis notched his 11 double-double of the season...LSU leading scorer Justin Hamilton (13.9 points per game entering Saturday) had seven points on 3-of-7 shooting.
- KENTUCKY: 74
Jan 28 5:54 PM
- KENTUCKY: 35
Jan 28 4:48 PM
- KENTUCKY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 28 4:04 PM
- Kentucky reserve G/F Charles Matthews requests transfer May 18
- Calipari plans to coach Kentucky 'the rest of my career' May 16
- Calipari: Defense, size will be Kentucky's initial strengths May 11
- Kentucky's Skal Labissiere announces plan to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Kentucky guard Jamal Murray says he will enter NBA draft Apr 1
- LSU coach: Guard Tim Quarterman leaving for NBA draft Mar 28
- Calipari: All eligible Kentucky players to enter NBA draft Mar 23
- LSU freshman Ben Simmons announces he'll enter the NBA draft Mar 21
- Kentucky's up-and-down season ends with early tourney exit Mar 20
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky falters, loses to Indiana 73-67 Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18