Indiana uses strong second half to top Penn StateJan 22, 2012 - 7:51 PM Bloomington, IN (Sports Network) - Cody Zeller had 18 points on 7-of-8 shooting and tallied four blocks, leading 11th-ranked Indiana to a 73-54 win over Penn State at Assembly Hall.
Jordan Hulls scored all 14 of his points in the second half for the Hoosiers (16-4, 4-4 Big Ten), who snapped a three-game losing streak.
Their last win came at Penn State on January 8, when Indiana made a season- high 16 three-pointers on a season-best 66.7 percent shooting from beyond the arc in an 88-82 victory.
On Sunday, the Hoosiers used a dominant second half to subdue the Nittany Lions (10-11, 2-6), who wore black bands to honor Joe Paterno. The former Penn State football coach passed away hours before the contest.
The Indiana crowd also had a moment of silence in honor of the iconic figure.
Tim Frazier led Penn State with a game-high 21 points.
Coming off Thursday's home win over No. 22 Illinois, the Nittany Lions led throughout the majority of the first half, with Frazier, who hit the game- winning shot against the Fighting Illini, pacing the offense with 10 points.
Zeller recorded 12 points during the opening 20 minutes, but no other Indiana player had more than three, a contributing factor in the fact the Hoosiers trailed 29-27 at the break.
But Indiana took control in the second half and led 45-35 on Matt Roth's three-pointer. A Will Sheehey free throw put the Hoosiers up 63-46 with just under five minutes remaining.
Indiana shot 65.2 percent after halftime, while holding Penn State to 22.7 percent shooting.
Christian Watford had 11 points and seven rebounds for the Hoosiers...Nick Colella was the only other Penn State player to reach double digits in points, finishing with 11...Frazier made 7-of-18 field goals...Indiana outscored the Nittany Lions 30-16 in the paint.
- PENN STATE: 54
Jan 22 2:12 PM
- PENN STATE: 29
Jan 22 12:49 PM
- PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 22 12:02 PM
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18
- Indiana prepares for Chattanooga, No. 12 seed pressure Mar 16
- Ferrell says Indiana legacy incomplete without deep NCAA run Mar 14