Marquette, minus Johnson-Odom, routs Northern ColoradoDec 18, 2011 - 12:45 AM Marquette rode the momentum of a strong first half to a 93-72 win over Northern Colorado at the Bradley Center.
Jae Crowder posted a double-double of 19 points and 11 rebounds for the Golden Eagles, who are off to their first 10-0 start since 2001-02.
Vander Blue had 18 points, Davante Gardner contributed 14 points and Jamil Wilson rounded out Marquette's double-digit scorers with an 11-point effort.
Marquette leading scorer Darius Johnson-Odom was suspended for Saturday's game for violating team rules. Mayo started in Johnson-Odom's place.
"I thought our guys were a lot better today after a week off, playing without our leading scorer and a guy that can probably create a shot as well as anybody in the country," said Marquette head coach Buzz Williams.
Tate Unruh paced the Bears (3-7) with a game-high 25 points, while Tim Huskisson added 17 points in defeat.
Marquette built an early double-digit lead as Blue's two free throws made it 20-8. Mayo, who made all four of his three-point attempts in the first half, knocked down a trey and Junior Cadougan hit a layup to put the Golden Eagles up 42-20 with about four minutes to go in the first half.
The Golden Eagles led by 21 points in the early moments of the second half, but an Unruh tip-in drew Northern Colorado within nine at 56-47 with 13:11 remaining.
Marquette went on an 18-7 run over the next four minutes to push its lead back to 20. Wilson capped the surge with a three-point play, which gave the home team a 74-54 advantage.
Northern Colorado trailed by at least 14 points the rest of the way.
Saturday's game marked the first-ever meeting between these two programs on the hardwood...Mayo was 0-for-4 from three-point range in the second half...The Bears are winless in five all-time games against current Big East basketball programs...Cadougan totaled nine points and nine assists.
- NORTHERN COLORADO: 72
Dec 17 6:16 PM
- NORTHERN COLORADO: 30
Dec 17 5:00 PM
- NORTHERN COLORADO: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 17 4:09 PM
- Boise State assistant named head coach at Northern Colorado May 1
- Northern Colorado fires men's basketball coach B.J. Hill Apr 21
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11
- Wojo readies Ellenson, touted Marquette freshmen for opener Nov 11