Jackson powers Baylor past Texas TechJan 7, 2012 - 10:58 PM
Brady Heslip scored 16 points and Quincy Miller added 15 to go with nine boards for the undefeated Bears (15-0, 2-0 Big 12), whose 15-game win streak to start the season is the longest run of any kind in school history.
"I think this was a typical Big 12 game that was hard fought," said Baylor head coach Scott Drew. "Anytime you win on the road that's a great compliment because it is hard to do in the Big 12."
Javarez Willis had 13 points to pace the Red Raiders (7-7, 0-2), who trailed the entire second half after owning a lead for the majority of the opening 20 minutes.
Texas Tech opened the game on a 6-0 run and fell behind momentarily when Baylor countered with a 9-2 surge.
"We started out and made a couple of shots and we were attacking the way we thought would be best for us to have a chance for success," said Texas Tech head coach Billy Gillispie.
Robert Lewandowski hit a shot to put the Red Raiders up 10-9, and the lead stretched to five at 20-15 on another Lewandowski jumper with 8:14 remaining.
Willis nailed a three-pointer after the Bears tied the game at 24-24, but Heslip drained consecutive shots from beyond the arc to give the visitors the lead late in the first half.
Baylor led 32-31 at the break and started the second half on a 12-2 run. A Jackson three-pointer put the Bears up 44-33 five minutes into the frame.
Texas Tech closed to within 57-53 on a DeShon Minnis jumper with just under seven minutes to play, but Baylor used an 8-1 burst to pull away for good.
Perry Jones III finished with nine points, six rebounds and three blocks for Baylor, which outrebounded Texas Tech 33-25...Jaye Crockett and Ty Nurse scored 11 and 10 points, respectively, for Texas Tech...The Red Raiders suffered their first loss in seven home games this season.
- BAYLOR: 73
TEXAS TECH: 60
Jan 7 3:56 PM
- BAYLOR: 32
TEXAS TECH: 31
Jan 7 2:35 PM
- BAYLOR: 0
TEXAS TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 7 1:56 PM
- Chris Beard bolted UNLV to come 'home' to Texas Tech Apr 16
- Coach Chris Beard spurns UNLV for Texas Tech Apr 15
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- Texas Tech at a glance Oct 28
- Texas Tech aims for turnaround after 2 losing seasons Oct 28
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- No. 9 Kansas tops No. 16 Baylor to reach Big 12 title game Mar 14
- Baylor and Kansas meet in Big 12 Tournament semifinals Mar 13