No. 9 Baylor dominates Texas TechFeb 28, 2012 - 5:15 AM
Anthony Jones and A.J. Walton netted 13 points apiece and Quincy Acy added 12 points and seven rebounds for Baylor (25-5, 12-5 Big 12), which set a program- record with its 12th Big 12 win of the season.
"Obviously, it's emotional playing my last game at the Ferrell Center," said the senior forward Acy, "but I feel we have a long way to go in the season so it's not close to our last game. There was a great turnout and I thank all the fans."
Jordan Tolbert scored 19 points to pace Texas Tech (8-21, 1-16), which has dropped four straight and 16 of its last 17 games. Ty Nurse added eight points for the Red Raiders in a losing effort.
Baylor tallied the first eight points of the game but Texas Tech pulled within four after a Tolbert layup made it 15-11.
However, Baylor reeled off a 25-4 spurt over the final 10 minutes of the half to take a convincing 40-15 lead into the locker room.
The Red Raiders made just 5-of-23 shots from the field in the first half, compared to a 16-of-33 performance from Baylor.
"Tough night for us, obviously, I thought we really played hard for the entire game, especially at the start," said Texas Tech head coach Billy Gillispie. "We couldn't make any plays, finish to the basket, couldn't make open shots, and couldn't get to the foul line. They had a great deal of confidence, and it just kind of steamrolled against us. You have to give them credit, they played really well."
The second half was more of a formality than anything else as Baylor would cruise down the stretch, allowing the seniors to go out on a high note in their final game at Ferrell Center.
The lead reached 33 at its highest point after a Pierre Jackson three-pointer made it a 70-37 game with just under five minutes remaining in the contest.
Baylor will finish the season at Iowa State on Saturday...The Red Raiders now lead the all-time series 75-49...Baylor owned the glass, outrebounding Texas Tech 37-25.
- Chris Beard bolted UNLV to come 'home' to Texas Tech Apr 16
- Coach Chris Beard spurns UNLV for Texas Tech Apr 15
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- Texas Tech at a glance Oct 28
- Texas Tech aims for turnaround after 2 losing seasons Oct 28
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- No. 9 Kansas tops No. 16 Baylor to reach Big 12 title game Mar 14
- Baylor and Kansas meet in Big 12 Tournament semifinals Mar 13