Miller leads 12th-ranked Bears past Texas SouthernNov 12, 2011 - 6:45 AM Waco, TX (Sports Network) - Quincy Miller scored 17 points to guide 12th- ranked Baylor to a 77-57 win over Texas Southern.
"He didn't play high school basketball because of his ACL injury last year. It is tough enough adjusting from high school to college, let alone if you don't play your senior year and did rehab all year," Baylor coach Scott Drew said. "It is going to take him a little bit of time and he will get better and better as the year goes on, but I love his work ethic and his desire to improve."
Quincy Acy had 11 points and seven rebounds while Anthony Jones had 11 points and 12 rebounds for the Bears (1-0), who went 18-13 last season with just a 7-9 mark against the Big 12.
Omar Strong scored 14 points and Fred Sturdivant donated 11 points and six rebounds for the Tigers (0-1), who finished last season with a mark of 19-13 and a 16-2 record in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.
Texas Southern got the first four points of the game, but consecutive three- pointers from Brady Heslip and Jones countered that.
An 11-0 run from Baylor put the team ahead, 19-9, when A.J. Walton capped the run on a three-ball halfway through the first half.
The Tigers cut their deficit to one later with a three-pointer from Madarious Gibbs, but the Bears answered with the next eight points and eventually took a 37-30 lead into the break.
An 11-2 run from the Bears saw the team take a 50-35 lead on an Acy dunk with under 12 minutes to play.
Texas Southern was unable to get back to single-digits and 11 unanswered points from Baylor sealed the win.
Baylor hosts Jackson State on Sunday...The Bears have won all seven games against Texas Southern and are 40-0 against teams from the SWAC...Cory Jefferson had 10 points and 10 rebounds for Baylor.
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- Arizona cruises by Texas Southern Mar 19
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- Arizona starts tournament play against Texas Southern Mar 19
- Texas Southern rallies late, wins SWAC title Mar 14
- Tigers, Jaguars meet in SWAC title clash Mar 14
- No. 9 Kansas tops No. 16 Baylor to reach Big 12 title game Mar 14
- Baylor and Kansas meet in Big 12 Tournament semifinals Mar 13
- Baylor tops West Virginia in Big 12 tourney Mar 12