Miller leads ninth-ranked Bears past MavericksNov 24, 2011 - 5:26 AM Baylor used a strong second half to dispatch Texas-Arlington, 75-65, at Ferrell Center.
Miller added 11 rebounds, Pierre Jackson posted 16 points and Brady Heslip added 12 for the Bears (5-0). Cory Jefferson totaled 10 points, seven rebounds and seven blocks the victors.
"He does such a good job at drawing contact, and when he gets to the free throw line he is a good shooter, but he rebounded tonight," Baylor head coach Scott Drew said of Miller.
LaMarcus Reed III notched a game-best 21 points for the Mavericks (3-1), who received 14 points from Bo Ingram in defeat.
"I think it was great to face someone where we can run our zone offense," said Texas-Arlington head coach Scott Cross. "We aren't going to see a zone like this all year long. I thought we did some good shots at times, but we did take some bad ones. It's a learning experience for our guys."
A Jackson shot from long distance gave the Bears a 48-37 advantage with more than 4 1/2 minutes played in the second half.
Baylor continued to push the pedal to the metal, eventually opening an 18- point edge with eight minutes left thanks to another Jackson trey, which capped that 13-6 burst.
UTA didn't have an answer from there, only whittling its deficit to the final margin on a Reed three in the final seconds.
A 16-4 run through the middle portion of the opening 20 minutes had Baylor ahead by a 23-11 count after Anthony Jones sank a jumper with under nine minutes to play.
The visitors managed to climb back within 29-26 on a Brandon Edwards dunk and 31-28 on a Reed layup, but Miller hit two from the line and Heslip sank a trey to help send Baylor to the break up 38-29.
Baylor has won 13 of 14 meetings...The Bears won the battle of the boards by a 49-33 margin...Quincy Acy posted 10 points, 11 boards and six blocks for Baylor...Jorge Redmon posted three steals for the Mavericks in the setback.
- TEXAS-ARLINGTON: 65
Nov 23 10:07 PM
- TEXAS-ARLINGTON: 29
Nov 23 8:55 PM
- TEXAS-ARLINGTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 23 8:06 PM
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- No. 9 Kansas tops No. 16 Baylor to reach Big 12 title game Mar 14
- Baylor and Kansas meet in Big 12 Tournament semifinals Mar 13
- Baylor tops West Virginia in Big 12 tourney Mar 12
- Mountaineers challenge Bears in Big 12 Tournament action Mar 12
- Baylor rallies past Texas Tech Mar 7
- Texas Tech and Baylor meet in regular-season finale Mar 6
- Texas fights off No. 14 Baylor in OT Mar 2