No. 6 Baylor stays perfect with win over Bethune-CookmanDec 15, 2011 - 7:01 AM Baylor cruised to a 69-42 victory over Bethune-Cookman on Wednesday.
All 10 players scored for the Bears, who have started 8-0 for the first time since the 2000-01 season.
Garrius Holloman scored 13 points and Anthony Breeze added 12 for the Wildcats (3-7). They dropped to 0-6 on the road this year.
The Bears were sharp despite coming off a 10-day hiatus.
They shot 56 percent from the field and 6-for-11 from beyond the three-point line, while leading by as many a 30 points.
The school honored 2011 Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III at halftime and the game itself proved little more than a tune-up for Saturday's non- conference road test against the BYU Cougars.
The Bears will visit the Marriott Center on Saturday, where the Cougars are 48-1 in their last 49 non-conference matchups.
"Again, why are we playing BYU? Because quite frankly, no one else wants to play up there because they know how tough it is to play up there," said Bears coach Scott Drew. "It will be a challenge for us."
On Wednesday, the game was tied, 10-10, in the opening minutes, but Baylor used a 21-6 run to take a commanding 31-16 lead into the break.
Perry Jones III led the charge, netting eight points over the first 20 minutes of play, while Quincy Miller added seven points and five boards.
The Bears weren't tested after the break and punished the Wildcats with their superior size and length, amassing a 35-25 rebounding advantage and outscoring BC 42-16 in the paint.
"They are long," said Wildcats coach Gravelle Craig. "There isn't a lot you could do about it sometimes when you go up for a rebound together and he goes up for a rebound, goes over your back without going over your back or he tips it out. Length is definitely a factor."
Late in regulation, Acy sunk a free throw to become the 25th 1,000-point scorer in program history.
"It is an honor," said Acy. "I don't know what to say about it. It is just hard work, and my teammates did a good job of looking for me."
Baylor leads the brief series 2-0...The Bears have won 25 straight non- conference home games...Baylor has just five 8-0 starts in program history.
- BETHUNE-COOKMAN: 42
Dec 14 9:55 PM
- BETHUNE-COOKMAN: 16
Dec 14 8:48 PM
- BETHUNE-COOKMAN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 14 8:06 PM
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Bethune-Cookman beats Trinity Baptist 108-54 in opener Nov 13
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- No. 9 Kansas tops No. 16 Baylor to reach Big 12 title game Mar 14
- Baylor and Kansas meet in Big 12 Tournament semifinals Mar 13
- Baylor tops West Virginia in Big 12 tourney Mar 12
- Mountaineers challenge Bears in Big 12 Tournament action Mar 12
- Baylor rallies past Texas Tech Mar 7
- Texas Tech and Baylor meet in regular-season finale Mar 6