Bears beat Gaels, move to 11-0Dec 23, 2011 - 6:42 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Perry Jones III had 14 points, nine rebounds and four blocks, as No. 6 Baylor downed St. Mary's-CA, 72-59, Thursday in the Las Vegas Classic.
Quincy Miller had a game-high 15 points, while Quincy Acy added 12 points and 10 boards for the Bears, who improved to 11-0 for just the second time in program history.
Rob Jones had 14 points and seven boards and Brad Waldow added 12 points for the Gaels (10-2). They had won eight straight entering Thursday.
The Bears, who will take on West Virginia in the tournament's final round on Friday, pulled away in the second half following a tightly contested opening 20 minutes. They held a slim 36-34 lead at the break, but increased the advantage to 15 with eight minutes to play.
Both teams shot well early, with the Gaels knocking down 54.5 percent of their first-half shots and Baylor going 16-for-31 from the floor (51.6 percent) over that span.
St. Mary's-CA cooled after intermission, however, going just 10-of-29 from the floor (34.5 percent), including a woeful 2-of-11 from beyond the arc in the second half.
Acy closed strong, finishing with 12 second-half points on 2-of-3 shooting and a 7-of-8 clip from the foul line.
Baylor leads the all-time series, 2-0. The Bears won the previous meeting, 72-49, in the South Regional semifinal game of the NCAA Tournament in 2010...St. Mary's-CA takes on Missouri State on Friday...The Bears held a 37-24 advantage on the glass.
- ST. MARY'S: 59
Dec 23 12:25 AM
- ST. MARY'S: 34
Dec 22 11:19 PM
- ST. MARY'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 22 10:36 PM
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- No. 9 Kansas tops No. 16 Baylor to reach Big 12 title game Mar 14
- Baylor and Kansas meet in Big 12 Tournament semifinals Mar 13
- Baylor tops West Virginia in Big 12 tourney Mar 12
- Mountaineers challenge Bears in Big 12 Tournament action Mar 12
- Baylor rallies past Texas Tech Mar 7
- Texas Tech and Baylor meet in regular-season finale Mar 6
- Texas fights off No. 14 Baylor in OT Mar 2