Hardaway Jr. leads Michigan past Iowa StateDec 3, 2011 - 9:31 PM Ann Arbor, MI (Sports Network) - Tim Hardaway Jr. scored 19 points and pulled down six rebounds, as the 14th-ranked Michigan Wolverines held off the Iowa State Cyclones, 76-66.
Jordan Morgan added 16 points for the Wolverines (6-2), who bounced back from a 70-58 loss to Virginia on Tuesday. Trey Burke donated 13 points.
Royce White ended with 22 points and 13 boards for the Cyclones (5-3), who have lost two in a row. Chris Allen tallied 11 points and five assists.
Michigan went 7-of-29 from three-point range, while Iowa State went 6-of-27 from beyond the arc.
"Really pleased with some great defense today. This team can really shoot," Michigan head coach John Beilein said.
Iowa State kept the game close in the first half and held a 23-21 edge with 4 1/2 minutes left. Michigan, though, closed the half out on a 13-2 run to take control. Eso Akunne, Burke and Blake McLimans each made three-pointers during the burst for a 34-25 lead at the break.
Holding a 39-31 margin early in the second half, the Wolverines put together a 16-2 burst to create some distance. Morgan tallied seven points during the stretch, including a slam with 12:42 left for a 55-33 edge.
Iowa State ripped off 10 straight points late in the game to get within eight, 68-60, on White's layup with 52 seconds remaining.
But the Wolverines went 8-of-8 from the foul line down the stretch to seal the victory.
Michigan leads the all-time series with Iowa State, 5-4...The Wolverines shot 48.2 percent from the field, while the Cyclones made 35.8 percent of their shots.
- IOWA STATE: 66
Dec 3 1:58 PM
- IOWA STATE: 25
Dec 3 12:46 PM
- IOWA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 3 12:06 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1