No. 10 Florida tops Wright StateNov 22, 2011 - 2:50 AM
In its first-ever regular season game against a Horizon League team, Florida didn't take a double-digit lead until midway through the first half and was never totally comfortable while winning its second straight game.
Mike Rosario added 11 points for the Gators (3-1), who have won two in a row.
Julius Mays scored 21 points to lead the Raiders (2-2) while John Balwigaire had 15 and Reggie Arceneaux chipped in 13.
Although it was the first time the two teams ever met, they share a common opponent this season. Entering the game, their only losses were both to Ohio State.
Mays buried a three-pointer with about five minutes remaining, capping an 8-2 run and getting Wright State within nine points at 66-57. But two free throws from Erving Walker and another by Patric Young pushed Florida's lead to 12 and it remained in double digits the rest of the way.
Walker, who scored nine points, made a layup later on after the Raiders had gotten back within 10.
The Gators' first double-digit lead came about 10 minutes into the game after Will Yeguete's layup made it 23-12. They ended the first half on a 9-4 run to make it 44-29 at the break.
Florida coach Billy Donovan was recruited to play basketball at Providence by Bill Donlon, the father of current Wright State coach Billy Donlon...The Gators played four previous games against Horizon League teams in the NCAA Tournament, going 2-1 against Butler and 1-0 versus Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Wright State hires South Dakota State basketball coach Apr 4
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Wright State fires coach Billy Donlon after 6 seasons Mar 19
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8