Blue paces No. 21 Marquette past WinthropNov 19, 2011 - 4:19 AM St. Thomas, VI (Sports Network) - Vander Blue scored a team-high 26 points as 21st-ranked Marquette easily rolled past Winthrop, 95-73, in the quarterfinals of the 2011 Paradise Jam.
Darius Johnson-Odom added 20 points, while Chris Otule, Jae Crowder and Todd Mayo notched 11 points apiece for the Golden Eagles (3-0).
Andre Jones led all scorers with 29 points in a losing effort for Winthrop (0-3).
After a pair of Joab Jerome free throws gave Winthrop a 16-15 lead early in the first half, Marquette went on a 16-3 run to take a 31-19 advantage with 6:07 left in the frame.
Winthrop battled back to get within two with under two minutes in the half, but Blue answered with a couple of three-pointers as the Golden Eagles took a 45-37 lead into the break.
Johnson-Odom dropped a shot from beyond the arc on the first attempt of the second half to set the pace for Marquette as they outscored Winthrop 50-36 in the second to complete the rout.
This is the second meeting between the teams, with Winthrop winning the other contest back in 2005...Marquette outscored Winthrop in the paint 38-18...Marquette connected on 57.4 percent of its shots, while Winthrop shot 42.1 percent.
- WINTHROP: 73
Nov 18 10:39 PM
- WINTHROP: 37
Nov 18 9:29 PM
- WINTHROP: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 18 8:34 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11
- Wojo readies Ellenson, touted Marquette freshmen for opener Nov 11
- Oh Henry: Ellenson highlights Marquette's big freshman class Nov 3