Marquette handles JacksonvilleNov 29, 2011 - 4:40 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - After a successful trip to the Paradise Jam, No. 16 Marquette returned home and posted an 88-56 rout of Jacksonville on Monday night.
Jae Crowder poured in 27 points and Darius Johnson-Odom added 19 for the Golden Eagles (6-0), who claimed the Paradise Jam title when they beat Norfolk State by two points in last Monday's finale.
"I didn't think we were quite as rusty as I thought we would be, but I didn't think that we were as sharp as we needed to be," said Marquette head coach Buzz Williams.
Todd Mayo scored 14 points for Marquette, which made nearly 59 percent of its shots.
Delwan Graham had 13 points and six rebounds to lead the Dolphins (2-4), who lost to Florida by 45 points on Sunday.
Jacksonville managed to stay close for much of the first half. While it trailed by seven early on, it pulled ahead when Jake Giesler and Keith McDougald drilled consecutive three-pointers.
McDougald hit the second with 8:43 left for a 20-19 edge, and the Dolphins were still ahead by one when Chris Davis made a three with 5:30 to play.
But Marquette scored the next six points for a 28-23 lead, and didn't look back. Johnson-Odum provided key offense in the final minute, converting a three-point play and hitting a three at the buzzer. The offense turned a lead of three points into a 37-28 margin.
The Golden Eagles' lead grew quickly in the second half. Nearly five minutes in, Crowder connected on a three to start a 17-2 run that he ended with a free throw, making it a 62-37 contest with 12:16 to play.
Marquette's lead didn't dip below 20 the rest of the way.
Vander Blue had nine boards and seven assists for Marquette...Davis finished with 12 points for Jacksonville, while Tevin Galvin added 10. Russell Powell had 10 assists...The Dolphins shot 34 percent.
- JACKSONVILLE: 56
Nov 28 10:08 PM
- JACKSONVILLE: 28
Nov 28 8:58 PM
- JACKSONVILLE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 28 8:08 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 82-71 Feb 27
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- Former Jacksonville basketball standout Morgan dies at 67 Jan 15
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11
- Jacksonville takes down Thomas (Ga) 92-64 Nov 23