No. 16 Marquette snaps Wisconsin's home win streakDec 4, 2011 - 12:27 AM Madison, WI (Sports Network) - Darius Johnson-Odom scored 17 points and No. 16 Marquette snapped No. 9 Wisconsin's 23-game home winning streak by defeating the Badgers, 61-54, on Saturday.
Freshman Todd Mayo had a breakout performance with 14 points for the Golden Eagles (7-0), who are off to their best start since the 2006-07 campaign.
Marquette played stellar defense, holding the Badgers to just 32 percent shooting from the field, and 5-of-19 from three. The Golden Eagles also held the rebounding margin, 44-32.
It was a long night for Wisconsin's star guard Jordan Taylor, who played most of the game in foul trouble. He scored 13 points and turned the ball over five times for the Badgers (6-2), who have lost two straight.
Mike Bruesewitz hit a three-pointer to give Wisconsin a 17-16 lead with 7:41 to go in the first half. It turned out to be the last made field goal for the Badgers in the opening 20 minutes.
The Golden Eagles outscored the Badgers 16-5 the rest of the half to take a 32-22 lead into the break.
Vander Blue paved the way with seven first-half points and four rebounds.
With its star guard Taylor on the bench with four fouls, Wisconsin used a 16-4 run capped off by a Ben Brust layup to cut the deficit to 41-40 midway through the second half.
But the Golden Eagles responded with a quick 6-0 spurt to bring the margin back to seven, 47-40, with seven minutes to go.
Taylor's layup with 2:20 left made it a 51-48 game, but once again the Golden Eagles upped the lead back to seven, 55-48, after Mayo hit a jumper and Davante Gardner tipped one home with 1:13 left.
Brust knocked down a three-pointer to make it a four-point game, but Marquette hit its free-throws in the closing seconds to preserve the win.
Wisconsin suffered its last home loss to Illinois, 63-56, on February 9, 2010...The Badgers still own a 64-54 edge in the all-time series...Wisconsin had won the two previous meetings between the schools...Marquette won the points in the paint battle, 32-16.
- MARQUETTE: 61
Dec 3 6:40 PM
- MARQUETTE: 32
Dec 3 5:27 PM
- MARQUETTE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 3 4:32 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Stuck in slump, Wisconsin's Hayes contributes in other ways Mar 22
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19