No. 21 Marquette flies past ProvidenceJan 22, 2012 - 3:15 AM Providence, RI (Sports Network) - Darius Johnson-Odom and Jae Crowder each scored 18 points to lead No. 21 Marquette to a 79-72 victory over Providence.
Jamil Wilson tallied 16 points and Todd Mayo scored 10 for the Golden Eagles (16-4, 5-2 Big East), who won their fourth straight game.
Bryce Cotton had 28 points for the Friars (12-8, 1-6), who have dropped six of their last seven contests.
The Friars overcame a horrendous first half and led 40-39 after 20 minutes, this despite Providence going 11-of-36 from the field. Vincent Council's free throw in the closing seconds provided the margin and capped a half-ending 9-3 spurt.
In a back-and-forth second half, the Golden Eagles started to gain control at the midway point. Gerard Coleman's layup had the hosts within 62-59 with 10 minutes left, but Wilson countered with a layup and a jumper. That was part a sizzling 68.2 percent shooting performance (15-of-22) in the second half for the Golden Eagles.
Davante Gardner then scored the final five points of Marquette's rally that yielded a 71-60 score inside four minutes. The margin never got closer than seven the remainder of the game.
Marquette leads the all-time series, 11-4...Kadeem Batts had 11 rebounds for the Friars, who also got 11 points and seven assists from Council...Providence shot 36.5 percent for the game, compared to 53.7 for Marquette.
- MARQUETTE: 79
Jan 21 9:09 PM
- MARQUETTE: 39
Jan 21 7:59 PM
- MARQUETTE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 21 7:10 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4
- Providence's Bentil listed as day-to-day after ankle injury Feb 4
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23