No. 17 Marquette downs South FloridaJan 25, 2012 - 5:19 AM Marquette beat South Florida, 67-47, on Tuesday.
Davante Gardner and Jae Crowder added 15 points apiece for the Golden Eagles (17-4, 6-2 Big East), who have won five in a row.
Toarlyn Fitzpatrick ended with 19 points and 10 boards for the Bulls (12-9, 5-3), who had a three-game winning streak snapped. Victor Rudd tallied 10 points.
"They have some big guys," Johnson-Odom said of the Bulls. "But we did a good job of rotating and forcing them to take shots."
Holding an 18-15 lead late in the first half, Johnson-Odom and Crowder made back-to-back three-pointers to give the Golden Eagles a nine-point margin.
Rudd and Fitzpatrick responded with a pair of three-pointers around a Jamil Wilson jumper.
But Marquette fought back with the final seven points of the half. Wilson bookended the burst with a trey and slam to make it 33-21 at the break.
Ahead 39-24 early in the second half, the home team went on an 8-2 spurt. Gardner's three-point play made it a 47-26 game with 13 1/2 minutes to play and the Bulls never got closer than 15 the rest of the way.
"It was a good game. Marquette played hard, played well together and held the home court well," said South Florida coach Stan Heath. "We didn't play well. Marquette was a part of that, but the things that have worked so well for us in the past, we didn't do that."
The Golden Eagles lead the all-time series by a 17-3 margin...Marquette head coach Buzz Williams picked up his 100th career victory...South Florida had 22 turnovers, leading to 20 Marquette points.
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 47
Jan 24 10:05 PM
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 21
Jan 24 8:51 PM
- SOUTH FLORIDA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 24 8:05 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11
- Calipari, No. 1 Kentucky to meet former assistant Antigua Nov 26
- Wojo readies Ellenson, touted Marquette freshmen for opener Nov 11
- Oh Henry: Ellenson highlights Marquette's big freshman class Nov 3