Marquette overcomes slow start, edges VillanovaJan 29, 2012 - 1:13 AM
Jae Crowder had 20 points and 11 boards, and Jamil Wilson chipped in 12 points as Marquette (18-4, 7-2 Big East) won its sixth straight game.
JayVaughn Pinkston led the way for the Wildcats with 17 points and five rebounds. Maurice Sutton added 11 points and 10 boards, but it wasn't enough as Villanova (10-12, 3-7 Big East) dropped its second straight game.
Marquette trailed by as many as 18 in this contest but the tide turned late in the second as Maalik Wayns picked up a technical, his fourth personal, for arguing with an official.
Marquette picked up four quick points in an 8-0 run after the technical as it took a 73-69 lead with 4:45 remaining.
Villanova was able to pick up a big steal with 45 seconds to go, down 76-73, but a Dominic Cheek three-pointer missed everything and the Wildcats were forced to foul.
After two made free throws from Crowder, Pinkston hit a three to cut the lead to 80-78 with 8.6 to play.
However, Marquette finished the game going six for six from the line in the final seconds to hold off Villanova for the comeback win.
"We couldn't get stops, We got locked into a half-court game," said Villanova coach Jay Wright about his team's second-half collapse. "They are better than us at small ball."
The Wildcats started hot from three as Cheek knocked down a triple and Pinkston followed with a dunk to extend the Villanova lead to 28-10 with 10:08 left until halftime.
Johnson-Odom got it going late in the first half, scoring his team's last bucket of the half by hitting a big three to put his team down 46-36 going into intermission.
"I thought Villanova had an excellent first half. I thought our guys were able to hang in there," said Marquette coach Buzz Williams.
Johnson-Odom picked up where he left off to start the second half, knocking down a three and picking up an assist on an alley-oop to Vander Blue as Marquette found itself down 46-41 just 1:30 into the second half.
Marquette will host Seton Hall on Tuesday, while Villanova travels to Pittsburgh next Sunday...Cheek had 16 points and five rebounds...Villanova had five players in double figures...Wright and Williams both received technicals in the first half for arguing.
- MARQUETTE: 82
Jan 28 2:33 PM
- MARQUETTE: 36
Jan 28 1:04 PM
- MARQUETTE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 28 12:06 PM
- Villanova's buzzer-beater Jenkins to stay for senior season May 3
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Villanova receives $22.6 million gift for arena renovation Apr 20
- National champion Wildcats bask in celebratory perks Apr 12
- Philadelphia cheers NCAA champs Villanova with parade Apr 8
- Classes off, party on: a Philly bash for champion Villanova Apr 6
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Oklahoma and Villanova face the shooting woes of NRG Stadium Apr 2
- 'Nova looks to show growth since 1st game against Oklahoma Mar 31
- Top-seeded Kansas, No. 2 Villanova set for Elite 8 showdown Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19