No. 18 Marquette downs DePaulFeb 7, 2012 - 5:21 AM
Jamil Wilson had 18 points and 10 rebounds and Jae Crowder put up 14 and 11 for Marquette (20-5, 9-3 Big East), which was coming off a 17-point loss at Notre Dame on Saturday.
Vander Blue chipped in 16 points and Junior Cadougan rounded out the double digit scorers with 10 to help the Eagles overcome an early 12-point deficit.
Cleveland Melvin netted 22 points to pace DePaul (11-12, 2-9), but had just five in a second half owned by the visitors.
The Blue Demons had lost seven of eight coming in, but led 41-29 following a Melvin tip-in and dunk with 4 1/2 minutes left in the first half.
Johnson-Odom's personal 7-0 run pulled the Eagles closer, and they were within 43-40 at halftime before turning it on after the break.
A Crowder free throw 1:20 into the second half gave Marquette its first lead, 44-43, and the visitors never trailed from there.
Blue scored six points on an 8-0 run to push the margin to 56-46 with 13 1/2 minutes left, and a 9-2 spurt -- capped by Crowder's layup off a terrific bounce pass by Cadougan -- extended the lead to 73-58 five minutes later.
The closest DePaul got from there was eight.
Marquette has taken nine of the last 11 in a series that dates back to the 1917-18 campaign...The Golden Eagles have won 20 straight games for the seventh straight season...DePaul forward Moses Morgan suffered a concussion in the first half after falling on his head and did not return...Jamee Crockett and Worrel Clahar netted 17 and 16 points, respectively for the Blue Demons.
- MARQUETTE: 89
Feb 6 11:12 PM
- MARQUETTE: 40
Feb 6 10:00 PM
- MARQUETTE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 6 9:06 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Podkowa helps No. 18 DePaul women top No. 15 Texas A&M 80-66 Dec 12
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11
- Wojo readies Ellenson, touted Marquette freshmen for opener Nov 11
- Oh Henry: Ellenson highlights Marquette's big freshman class Nov 3