Holt leads No. 21 Saint Mary's past Loyola MarymountJan 27, 2012 - 5:51 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Stephen Holt had 19 points and six rebounds to lift No. 21 Saint Mary's to a 71-64 win over Loyola Marymount.
Matthew Dellavedova totaled 13 points and seven assists while Rob Jones added 11 points and 15 rebounds for the Gaels (20-2, 9-0 WCC), who have won their past 10 games.
Drew Viney scored 18 points while Anthony Ireland contributed 15 points and five assists for the Lions (12-9, 5-3), who had won their previous two.
The score was tight through the first two minutes of the first half, but a Jarred DuBois jumper was followed by a basket from Ashley Hamilton to give the Lions a 25-18 with under seven minutes to play.
However, the Gaels used a 12-0 run a few minutes later to take control of the game as Jorden Page capped the burst with a three-ball.
Ireland put in a jumper to stanch the bleeding and end the half with Saint Mary's leading, 35-31.
Scoring the first six points of the second half gave the Gaels a 10-point lead and a pair of free throws from Dellavedova and Clint Steindl extended that to 45-31 4 1/2 minutes in.
An Ireland three-ball with under eight minutes to play cut Loyola Marymount's deficit to six, 54-48, but Jones followed with a layup and Kenton Walker II did likewise for a 10-point lead with seven minutes left.
That was the capper as the Lions were unable to get close than seven, and that was in the final seconds of the game on a Viney layup to cap the scoring.
Hamilton finished the game with 14 points and five rebounds...Brad Waldow had 10 points for Saint Mary's, which shot 49 percent in the game...Loyola Marymount made 41.4 percent of its shots.
- ST. MARY'S: 71
LOYOLA MARYMOUNT: 64
Jan 26 11:58 PM
- ST. MARY'S: 35
LOYOLA MARYMOUNT: 31
Jan 26 10:45 PM
- ST. MARY'S: 0
LOYOLA MARYMOUNT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 26 10:13 PM
- Gonzaga comes alive late to top Saint Mary's Feb 22
- Zags seek multiple milestones in WCC showdown with Gaels Feb 21
- No. 3 Gonzaga blows past Loyola Marymount Feb 13
- Lions face tall task in clash with third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 12
- No. 3 Gonzaga pulls away to rout St. Mary's Jan 23
- Gaels and Zags square off in pivotal WCC clash Jan 22
- Balanced Zags beat LMU Jan 18
- First vs. worst in the WCC, as Zags visit Lions Jan 17
- Wichita State has no problem with Loyola Marymount Dec 23
- Lions and Shockers meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 22
- Harrison guides St. John's past St. Mary's Dec 20
- Gaels come calling on 20th-ranked Red Storm Dec 19