Waldow leads No. 21 Saint Mary's over BYUJan 29, 2012 - 8:27 AM Provo, UT (Sports Network) - Brad Waldow had 19 points and eight rebounds to help No. 21 Saint Mary's to an 80-66 win over BYU.
Clint Steindl had 16 points and Rob Jones added 13 points and nine rebounds for Saint Mary's (21-2, 10-0 WCC), which has won 11 straight.
Noah Hartsock had 15 points as did Matt Carlino for BYU (18-6, 6-3), which had won its previous two coming into the game.
The game stayed tight for the first several minutes, but the Gaels took control of the game with a 10-0 run that was capped on a Wadlow layup for a 32-20 lead with four minutes left in the first half.
Clint Steindl made two free throws at the end of the half to give Saint Mary's a 40-28 lead after 20 minutes.
"Saint Mary's played terrific, especially in that first half," said BYU coach Dave Rose. "I thought they spread us out and had multiple players make big plays and big shots. We didn't get the shots we wanted to and we got in a little bit of a hurry."
The Gaels' lead reached 23 points just over three minutes into the second half when a pair of Stephen Holt free throws made it a 55-32 game.
That deficit proved to be too much for BYU to rally from, as the closest the school made it was nine points in the final minutes of the contest.
Saint Mary's hosts San Diego on Thursday...BYU hosts Gonzaga on Thursday...BYU still leads the series, 8-4...Saint Mary's shot 55.8 percent while BYU made 41 percent of its shots.
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- No. 7 Gonzaga beats BYU to win 14th WCC title Mar 11
- Bulldogs and Cougars collide in WCC title game Mar 10
- BYU ends No. 3 Gonzaga's 41-game home win streak Mar 1