Saint Mary's stays perfect at homeFeb 12, 2012 - 6:25 AM Moraga, CA (Sports Network) - Rob Jones scored 25 points and pulled down 12 rebounds, as 16th-ranked Saint Mary's remained unbeaten at home by topping Santa Clara, 82-67, at McKeon Pavilion.
Coming off a Thursday loss at Gonzaga, the Gaels (23-3, 12-2 WCC) bounced back nicely and moved to 16-0 at home on the season. Matthew Dellavedova tallied 16 points and 10 assists, while Stephen Holt scored 11 in the win.
Denzel Johnson had 17 points for the Broncos (8-17, 0-12), who lost their 13th in a row. Niyi Harrison totaled 12 points and Brandon Clark 10 in defeat.
Brad Waldow's tip-in capped six straight points for the hosts, as Saint Mary's gained a 40-35 halftime lead. Back-to-back layups from Holt extended the advantage to 50-38, but the Broncos made it close.
After trailing by as many as 14 later in the half, Santa Clara rallied and got within 62-59 on Harrison's layup with under nine minutes left. That culminated a 15-5 spurt.
Another Harrison bucket had the visitors within three again nearly a minute later, but Waldow's dunk and a three-ball from Clint Steindl provided some breathing room for the Gaels as they extended their cushion down the stretch.
Saint Mary's has won the last seven meetings, including sweeping this season's series, also capturing a 93-77 victory on January 21...Saint Mary's shot 52.6 percent and held a 36-26 rebounding advantage...Saint Mary's is 86-8 over the last four seasons when scoring 70 points or more.
- SANTA CLARA: 67
ST. MARY'S: 82
Feb 12 1:04 AM
- SANTA CLARA: 35
ST. MARY'S: 40
Feb 11 11:51 PM
- SANTA CLARA: 0
ST. MARY'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 11 11:08 PM
- Santa Clara hopes Sendek can lift team to WCC elite Mar 30
- Santa Clara hires Herb Sendek as new head coach Mar 29
- Santa Clara fires basketball coach Kerry Keating Mar 7
- Gonzaga comes alive late to top Saint Mary's Feb 22
- Zags seek multiple milestones in WCC showdown with Gaels Feb 21
- Gonzaga pulls away in second half, tops Santa Clara Feb 6
- Broncos face tall task in clash with second-ranked Bulldogs Feb 5
- No. 3 Gonzaga pulls away to rout St. Mary's Jan 23
- Gaels and Zags square off in pivotal WCC clash Jan 22
- Gonzaga rolls over Santa Clara Jan 11
- Broncos battle Bulldogs in WCC fracas Jan 10
- Harrison guides St. John's past St. Mary's Dec 20