Syracuse cruises to 19-0, tying school recordJan 15, 2012 - 4:19 AM
Kris Joseph paced the Orange (19-0, 6-0 Big East) with 13 points, while Dion Waiters added 12 as Syracuse tied its school record for consecutive wins to start a season, set during the 1999-2000 campaign.
"We are just trying to get ready for the next game, that's all we thought about and that's what we are going to keep doing," Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said about the win streak. "That's the only way to approach basketball games. We have to get ready or we are going to get beat."
Also with the win, Syracuse remains one of three unbeaten Division I teams in the country, joining Baylor (17-0) and Murray State (18-0).
Kadeem Batts scored a team-high 13 points for Providence (12-7, 1-5), which lost for the fifth time in six games. LaDontae Henton had 12 points and 10 rebounds for his sixth double-double of the season in the loss.
After six straight points by the Orange gave them a 10-2 lead less than four minutes into the first half, Providence reeled off a 10-2 spurt to tie the game at 12 with 11:15 left in the half.
But that would be the last time the game would be in question as Syracuse turned up its defense while outscoring the Friars 21-5 for the remainder of the first half.
Syracuse caused 16 Providence turnovers in the first 20 minutes and held the Friars to 7-for-22 shooting on the way to a 38-21 lead at the break.
The Orange then cruised through the second half, leading by as much as 30 on the way to their second victory over the Friars in 10 days. The teams also met on January 4, with Syracuse taking an 87-73 decision in Providence.
Jardine scored all of his points in the first half...Syracuse holds a 46-10 advantage in the all-time series...Providence shot just 35.1 percent from the floor in the game, compared to a 43.5 percent shooting performance from Syracuse...Syracuse's bench outscored Providence's 41-6.
- PROVIDENCE: 55
Jan 14 7:58 PM
- PROVIDENCE: 21
Jan 14 6:51 PM
- PROVIDENCE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 14 6:05 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26