Thompson, No. 10 Georgetown top ProvidenceFeb 19, 2012 - 3:04 AM Providence, RI (Sports Network) - Hollis Thompson posted a double-double, scoring 13 points while pulling down 10 rebounds, as No. 10 Georgetown defeated Providence, 63-53, on Saturday.
Jason Clark also had 13 points, while Henry Sims netted 10 points, grabbed seven boards and dished out five assists for the Hoyas (20-5, 10-4 Big East), who have won four of five.
Vincent Council paced Providence (13-15, 2-13) with 13 points and four assists. LaDontae Henton and Brice Kofane both contributed seven points and five rebounds for the Friars, who have lost five straight.
Georgetown led throughout, but Providence made a game of it early in the second half. With the Hoyas up 10, Henton made two free-throws, then stole it from Markel Starks, and finished with a fastbreak layup.
The teams traded unsuccessful trips down the floor before Henton pulled down a Sims miss and got the ball to Ron Giplaye on the break, who jumped and dunked. Suddenly the Friars' deficit was just four, 36-32.
But Georgetown immediately responded, as Thompson's trey on their next possession sparked an 8-0 Hoya run and a double-digit lead once more.
The Hoyas rolled off a 12-4 run to start the game and led wire-to-wire. They shot 50 percent (11-of-22) from the field in the opening stanza while holding Providence to an abysmal 14.3 percent (4-of-28).
The Friars stayed in it through their presence at the charity stripe, though, netting 11 of their 16 opportunities. They trailed 31-20 at the break.
Georgetown leads the all-time series 42-19. Providence has not defeated the Hoyas since March 5, 2005...Georgetown scored 28 points in the paint while holding Providence to 16...The Friars shot just 25.9 percent (14-of-54) from the field.
- GEORGETOWN: 63
Feb 18 9:05 PM
- GEORGETOWN: 31
Feb 18 7:55 PM
- GEORGETOWN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 18 7:06 PM
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4
- Providence's Bentil listed as day-to-day after ankle injury Feb 4
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Providence wins 60-59 after Illinois misses flurry of shots Nov 18
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- Dunn staying at Providence Apr 24
- Georgetown G Smith-Rivera to enter NBA Draft Mar 31