San Diego State handles TCUFeb 5, 2012 - 5:43 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Jamaal Franklin poured in a game-high 24 points on 7-of-11 shooting and grabbed 11 rebounds as No. 17 San Diego State handled TCU, 83-73, on Saturday.
James Rahon netted 16 points to go with five rebounds and Chase Tapley added 14 points for the Aztecs (20-3, 6-1 MWC), who have won two straight since dropping a 77-60 decision to Colorado State on January 28. Deshawn Stephens donated 13 points and six rebounds.
Kyan Anderson paced the Horned Frogs (13-9, 3-4) with 22 points and J.R. Cadot added 15 points. TCU had won three of four coming in to Saturday's game.
It was back-and-forth early and with the game tied at 10, TCU used a 13-6 bust to jump out to a 23-16 advantage with just under 13 minutes to play in the first half.
SDSU battled back with a 17-4 run to take a 33-27 lead, capped by a Tapley jumper with under five minutes to go.
A three-pointer by Hank Thorns pulled the Horned Frogs within four, but SDSU scored five of the next seven points to take a 46-39 lead at halftime.
After staying in the game by shooting an outstanding 60.9 percent from the floor in the first half, TCU went ice cold in the second 20 minutes, which allowed the Aztecs to take control of the game. TCU shot just 9-of-25 (36 percent) in the second half.
SDSU opened the second half with a 19-11 push to extend its lead to 65-50 with 13 1/2 minutes to play in regulation.
The Aztecs led by double-digits the rest of the way and a pair of free throws by Franklin with 2:31 to play matched SDSU's largest lead of the contest at 83-65.
San Diego State leads the all-time series between these two teams by a count of 12-4, and has won 12 of the 13 matchups during which both teams have been part of the MWC...The Aztecs shot 50.8 percent from the floor and 7-of-20 from three-point range, while TCU shot 47.9 percent from the field and 12-of-24 from beyond the arc...SDSU outrebounded TCU, 35-21.
- TEXAS CHRISTIAN: 73
SAN DIEGO STATE: 83
Feb 4 11:53 PM
- TEXAS CHRISTIAN: 39
SAN DIEGO STATE: 46
Feb 4 10:50 PM
- TEXAS CHRISTIAN: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 4 10:04 PM
- Helping Dixon: LSU assistant David Patrick hired by TCU Apr 20
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Jamie Dixon introduced at TCU, big boost for his alma mater Mar 22
- Dixon leaving Pittsburgh to take over at TCU, his alma mater Mar 22
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22