Florida State holds off VirginiaFeb 4, 2012 - 9:30 PM Florida State held off 16th-ranked Virginia to earn a 58-55 victory at Tucker Center.
Xavier Gibson added 10 points and five boards for the Seminoles (16-6, 7-1 ACC), who set a new school record with their seventh straight ACC win.
Mike Scott and Joe Harris netted 16 points apiece in a losing effort for Virginia (18-4, 5-3), which had its three-game win streak snapped.
Virginia had 12 turnovers and Florida State committed 11 in a defensive first half that ended with the Seminoles holding a 23-22 advantage.
White then had seven points in a 14-4 run by the Seminoles that put them ahead, 44-31, with 7 1/2 minutes left in the game and it looked like Florida State would run away with the victory.
But Virginia responded with 14 straight points over the next three minutes to take a 45-44 edge on Jontel Evans' steal and fast-break layup.
A Michael Snaer three-pointer halted the spurt and sparked a 6-0 swing by the Seminoles to put them back on top.
The teams traded threes and then layups on the next four possessions to keep FSU ahead by five, 55-50, with a little over a minute to go.
After an Evans layup closed the gap to three, Virginia's Akil Mitchell grabbed an errant pass on Florida State's next touch and coming out of a timeout with 34.3 seconds left in the game, Harris received a pass at the top of the key but missed his three-point attempt.
Deividas Dulkys made 1-of-2 free throws and Jeff Peterson made both foul shots around a missed Sammy Zeglinski three-pointer to put Florida State up, 58-52 with seven seconds to go.
Malcolm Brogdon's trey closed the gap to three with two seconds to play, and Evans' game-tying three at the buzzer from just past half court hit the backboard and then the front of the rim before bouncing away to seal the outcome.
This was the first meeting between the teams with both teams ranked since 1992-93...The Seminoles lead the all-time series 20-17...Florida State improved to 4-0 at home against conference opponents, joining North Carolina (4-0) as the only undefeated teams at home in ACC league play...Virginia has not won on the road against a ranked foe since 2007.
- VIRGINIA: 55
FLORIDA STATE: 58
Feb 4 3:03 PM
- VIRGINIA: 22
FLORIDA STATE: 23
Feb 4 2:01 PM
- VIRGINIA: 0
FLORIDA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 4 1:09 PM
- Florida State guard Rathan-Mayes returning for junior season May 2
- Junior college guard Angola-Rodas to attend Florida State Apr 20
- Mutombo's nephew signs to play basketball at Florida State Apr 13
- Florida State's Rathan-Mayes to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Florida State's Bacon withdraws from NBA draft consideration Mar 28
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Florida State's Beasley focuses on training for NBA draft Mar 24
- Florida State's Bacon to submit name for NBA draft Mar 23
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22