Sloppy Huskies down WagnerNov 15, 2011 - 5:02 AM Storrs, CT (Sports Network) - Shabazz Napier led Connecticut with 21 points, helping the fourth-ranked Huskies down the Wagner Seahawks, 78-66.
Jeremy Lamb scored 14 of his 20 points in the first half for UConn (2-0), which shot 43 free throws to Wagner's 17. Alex Oriakhi contributed eight points and nine rebounds for the victors.
Latif Rivers led Wagner (1-1) with 11 points.
Wagner forced 19 turnovers but was outrebounded 42-24.
"We're used to getting crushed on the boards. It's an acquired taste," joked Wagner head coach Dan Hurley said. "Their guys are really big. We're young and physically immature."
The Seahawks were within one, 21-20, following Naofall Folahan's three-point play with 8 1/2 minutes left to go in the first half, but they made just two more field goals prior to the break.
Lamb scored eight points on the ensuing 20-8 flurry to give the Huskies a 41-28 lead, and the hosts, though they never pulled away, were not seriously threatened in the second half thanks to 30 free throw attempts.
"They were a tough team. They were real scrappy. We got up, and they never gave up," Lamb said.
Connecticut has not lost a regular season game in Storrs in either November or December since December 5, 1973, a span of 101 games...UConn made 31 of its 43 free throws...Wagner, which got 10 points apiece from Tyler Murray and Kenneth Ortiz, won at Princeton in its season opener.
- WAGNER: 66
Nov 14 9:46 PM
- WAGNER: 66
End of Regulation
Nov 14 9:45 PM
- WAGNER: 28
Nov 14 8:24 PM
- WAGNER: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 14 7:36 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- Top-seeded Wagner tops Robert Morris 59-50 in NEC tourney Mar 2
- Wagner beats Robert Morris 62-54 behind Carey Feb 27
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18
- No. 23 UConn falls to Temple 55-53 on Brown's jumper Jan 5
- Wagner edges Robert Morris 72-69 Jan 4
- UConn C Amida Brimah out with broken finger Dec 22