Napier, Lamb power UConn to win over UNC-AshevilleNov 25, 2011 - 2:59 AM Paradise Island, Bahamas (Sports Network) - Shabazz Napier and Jeremy Lamb both scored 23 points, as No. 4 Connecticut opened the Battle 4 Atlantis with a 73-63 victory over UNC-Asheville.
Napier, who notched the 9th triple-double in UConn history on Sunday, added seven assists for the Huskies (5-0), who advanced to play UCF on Friday.
Matt Dickey paced the Bulldogs (2-3) with 18 points, while Jeremy Atkinson added 14 points and nine boards and J.P. Primm finished with 10 points.
The Huskies, who own the nation's longest win streak at 16 games, led by as many as 17 points during a strong first-half showing.
Lamb, playing with a sore right ankle, paced UConn over the first 20 minutes of play, pouring in nine points on 4-of-7 shooting and pulling five boards. Napier, meanwhile, willingly played facilitator, handing out six assists.
The Bulldogs battled, though, making it a 34-26 game on Keith Hornsby's layup with 2:04 left before the break. Atkinson added a breakaway layup, but Napier countered with the Huskies' final five points to make it a 39-28 game at intermission.
The Huskies carried the momentum into the second half.
They never relinquished the lead, as Napier scored 16 points on 5-of-8 shooting, including a 3-of-5 performance from beyond the arc, and his backcourt mate Lamb added an efficient 14 points on 4-of-6 shooting.
In all, the Huskies shot 53.2 percent from the field, and went 9-of-22 from beyond the arc.
The Huskies' mark for consecutive wins is 23, which was set in 1995-96...Napier's triple-double came in Sunday's win over Coppin State. He totaled 22 points, 12 boards and 13 assists.
- CONNECTICUT: 73
Nov 24 9:01 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 39
Nov 24 7:58 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 24 7:11 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18
- No. 23 UConn falls to Temple 55-53 on Brown's jumper Jan 5
- UConn C Amida Brimah out with broken finger Dec 22
- Basketball graduation rate at UConn at 20 percent, improving Nov 4
- Graduate transfers put UConn back in title conversation Oct 27
- UConn preview capsule Oct 27