No. 8 Uconn handles ArkansasDec 4, 2011 - 2:09 AM
Jeremy Lamb totaled 14 points and six rebounds for the Huskies (7-1), who have won two in a row since their lone loss to Central Florida. Tyler Olander added 12 points and six boards.
"I thought we really did a good job of controlling the ball against a hard pressure team," said UConn head coach Jim Calhoun. "They just come after you. And they come after you, and after you and after you. I wasn't surprised that they hustled for every loose ball."
B.J. Young's game-high 28 points wasn't enough for the Razorbacks (5-2), whose three-game win streak came to an end.
Mardracus Wade had 11 points and Devonta Abron contributed eight points and 16 rebounds in a losing cause.
The hosts kept Arkansas at arm's length for most of the second half, eventually opening up a 14-point edge after a Boatright triple with 10:45 remaining for a 62-48 contest.
Abron's layup got the Razorbacks within 64-57 roughly four minutes later, but Shabazz Napier hit a bucket on the following possession and ended a brief surge with another basket for a 71-57 lead with under four minutes remaining.
"My young pups, they battled them and battled them pretty hard," said Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson. "But in the end, you have to put the ball in the hole."
Arkansas went up 8-1 in the early stages, but the Huskies roared back to go up 22-12 on a trey from Lamb.
Olander's jumper pushed the UConn edge to 33-19 with 5 1/2 minutes left in the half, but a dunk from Hunter Mickelson brought the Razorbacks within 39-32 at the break.
UConn has won all three meetings...Abron posted 12 of his 16 rebounds on the offensive side of the ledger...The Huskies host Harvard on Thursday and the Razorbacks head to Oklahoma next Saturday.
- ARKANSAS: 62
Dec 3 5:15 PM
- ARKANSAS: 32
Dec 3 4:09 PM
- ARKANSAS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 3 3:19 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- Kingsley withdraws name from NBA draft, returns to Arkansas May 9
- Arkansas' Kingsley enters NBA draft, won't hire agent Apr 12
- Whitt transferring from Arkansas after freshman season Mar 30
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Anderson has NCAA tourney in sights next season for Arkansas Mar 22
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- Arkansas reeling, postseason unlikely, following latest loss Feb 19
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18