UConn survives test from South FloridaDec 29, 2011 - 5:06 AM Connecticut held off South Florida, 60-57, in the Big East opener for both teams.
Ryan Boatright added nine points and Alex Oriakhi and Tyler Olander scored six apiece for the Huskies (11-1, 1-0 Big East). UConn was without head coach Jim Calhoun, who was serving the first of a three-game suspension for NCAA recruiting violations.
Toarlyn Fitzpatrick led the Bulldogs (7-7,0-1) with 14 points and Augustus Gilchrist chipped in with 12 points. Jawanza Poland added nine points.
UConn lead by eight with just eight seconds remaining when Shaun Noriega was fouled by Lamb while attempting a three. Noriega knocked down all three free throws and USF quickly fouled Lamb. Lamb made just one of the two free throws before USF's Victor Rubb knocked down a three with two seconds left. However, the Huskies were able to dribble out the final ticks to secure its first conference win.
The Bulldogs took an early 12-4 lead in the first half before the Huskies pulled within two with 11 minutes left in the half. UConn was able to tie the game at 19-19 four minutes later as the teams traded baskets the rest of the way, as the Huskies went into the break up 30-28.
Both teams went scoreless over the first three minutes of the second half before UConn's DeAndre Daniels was able to tip in a Shabazz Napier miss to break the scoreless drought.
UConn was able to extend its lead to six at the 9:42 mark when Boatright grabbed a rebound off his own miss and laid it in. USF pulled within one at 44-43 after Ron Anderson Jr., knocked down a pair of free throws. The Huskies answered with a highlight-reel slam when Napier found Andre Drummond, who slammed the ball home.
The Huskies went on to outscore the Bulldogs 9-6 over the next 4:32 before USF was able to put together one last effort to tie the game.
UConn made just 3-of-12 from beyond the arc...UConn leads the all-time series 9-1...USF lost a home game for the first time in 2011.
- CONNECTICUT: 60
SOUTH FLORIDA: 57
Dec 28 11:06 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 30
SOUTH FLORIDA: 28
Dec 28 9:52 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
SOUTH FLORIDA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 28 9:07 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18
- No. 23 UConn falls to Temple 55-53 on Brown's jumper Jan 5
- UConn C Amida Brimah out with broken finger Dec 22
- Calipari, No. 1 Kentucky to meet former assistant Antigua Nov 26
- Basketball graduation rate at UConn at 20 percent, improving Nov 4
- UConn preview capsule Oct 27