Lamb, Drummond lead UConn over West VirginiaJan 10, 2012 - 2:47 AM Connecticut rallied to post a 64-57 decision over West Virginia at XL Center.
Andre Drummond added 20 points, a game-high 11 boards, three blocks and a pair of steals for the Huskies (13-3, 3-2 Big East), who put the brakes on a two-game skid.
Kevin Jones poured in 22 points and Deniz Kilicli had 12 in defeat for the Mountaineers (12-5, 3-2), who had their two-game win streak halted.
Lamb's jumper with 2:36 to play sent UConn up 57-55, then Kilicli hit 2-of-4 from the line and Drummond made 1-of-2 to keep it a one-point margin with 1:52 left.
Drummond connected for two with 1:26 on the clock for a 60-57 game, and Jones blew a layup in the paint on the next possession and Drummond came down with the ball.
Shabazz Napier and Jones followed by missing three-pointers, but Darryl Bryant fouled Lamb, who made both tries from the charity stripe with 14 ticks left.
Bryant's desperation trey was blocked by Drummond and Lamb added an uncontested layup as time expired.
A close game early was broken open on a 16-8 run by West Virginia.
Jones snapped a 16-16 tie with a trey, then hit a deuce for a five-point edge. He struck again from long distance to stretch the WVU lead to 25-20, and after Ryan Boatright's shot from beyond the arc, sank another triple. Jabarie Hinds capped the burst when he knocked down a three with 4:08 left in the half.
Drummond's dunk got UConn back within five, 33-28, at the break.
Kilicli's make with 11:24 to go boosted West Virginia to a 46-36 advantage, but the hosts awoke and erased the deficit thanks to a 19-5 run. Lamb had seven points, Drummond added six and Boatright capped the surge on a jumper for a 55-51 contest.
UConn has won 15 of the 20 all-time meetings...WVU fell to 0-9 on the road against Connecticut, including an 0-4 mark in Hartford...The Huskies totaled nine blocked shots...The Mountaineers claimed a 38-32 edge on the glass, but shot only 32.3 percent from the field, including 26.7 percent (8-of-30) over the final 20 minutes.
- WEST VIRGINIA: 57
Jan 9 9:02 PM
- WEST VIRGINIA: 33
Jan 9 7:50 PM
- WEST VIRGINIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 9 7:04 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Press Virginia meets its match, ousted by Stephen F. Austin Mar 18
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Pressure! West Virginia, Stephen F Austin match frenetic D Mar 17
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- WVU's goggled junior Devin Williams has opened some eyes Mar 15
- West Virginia's deep bench led by top scorer Jaysean Paige Feb 25
- West Virginia dedicates statue to "Hot Rod" Hundley Feb 20
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18