Michigan downs Ferris State in season openerNov 12, 2011 - 6:43 AM Ann Arbor, MI (Sports Network) - Stu Douglass and Evan Smotrycz both scored 14 points to lead the 18th-ranked Michigan Wolverines to a 59-33 victory over the Ferris State Bulldogs.
Tim Hardaway Jr. had 12 points and Jordan Morgan added seven points and six rebounds for the Wolverines (1-0), who converted 17 Ferris State turnovers into 15 points.
"I'm more comfortable with myself and more comfortable with the offense," said Douglass. "That's what the team needs."
Daniel Sutherlin had 11 points to pace the Bulldogs (0-1), who shot just 28 percent from the field and made just 3-of-18 three pointers.
The Wolverines struggled a week ago in a 47-39 exhibition win over Wayne State and the inferior play appeared to carry over into Friday's first half.
Michigan shot just 27.6 percent from the floor, but held a 22-16 lead at the break thanks to an equally woeful effort from Ferris State.
The Bulldogs, who hail from Division II's Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, shot 26.9 percent, including 1-for-10 from beyond the arc over the first 20 minutes of play.
Smotrycz appeared to bounce back from a subpar effort against Wayne State, totaling five first-half points with three boards, a steal and a block.
"I think in the first half we were definitely taking some forced shots," said Smotrycz. "That will slow down over time."
The Wolverines, however, got going after the intermission, shooting 51.9 percent from the field and 45.5 percent (5-of-11) from deep.
Douglass poured in nine points and grabbed three rebounds over that span, as Michigan pulled away.
Jerrell Sanders, a primary scoring threat for the Bulldogs, had eight second- half points, but as a team, Ferris State hit just 29.2 percent of its shots over the final 20 minutes of play.
The Wolverines next play Monday at home against Towson...Sanders, a junior, finished with nine points.
- FERRIS STATE: 33
Nov 11 8:49 PM
- FERRIS STATE: 16
Nov 11 7:50 PM
- FERRIS STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 11 7:09 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16
- Tough finish for injured Michigan seniors LeVert, Albrecht Mar 2
- Michigan's Caris LeVert out for season because of ailing leg Mar 1
- Michigan's LeVert returns from leg injury against Purdue Feb 13
- LeVert sitting out again for Michigan against Maryland Jan 12