Tigers open season with win over RedhawksNov 12, 2011 - 6:50 AM Columbia, MO (Sports Network) - Ricardo Ratliffe and Marcus Denmon both scored 20 points and grabbed eight boards, as the 25th-ranked Missouri Tigers defeated the Southeast Missouri State Redhawks, 83-68, in a season-opening tilt.
Kim English added 19 points and Phil Pressey had 10 points for the Tigers (1-0), who were victorious in their first game under new head coach Frank Haith.
Tyler Stone paced the Redhawks (0-1) with 18 points, while Marcus Brister chipped in 15 points and six assists and Nino Johnson finished with 11 points.
Ratliffe, an honorable mention All-Big 12 selection last year, scored 14 of his points during a first half which saw him go 6-of-8 from the floor.
Denmon added nine points over that span, but the Redhawks hung tough, as Stone poured in 10 points and Brister added eight, en route to a slim 38-36 halftime deficit.
"Give credit to SEMO, they came out with a lot of energy and they played hard and made shots early," said Denmon.
The Tigers, though, pulled away in the second half, utilizing 4-of-9 shooting from beyond the arc and 13-of-15 shooting from the charity stripe to secure the win.
"The thing that I really liked about our team was our ability to get to the free throw line," said Haith. "If we continue to attack, get the one and one, that's a plus for us. It slows the game down."
SEMO, meanwhile, hit just 1-of-6 three pointers over the final 20 minutes and went just 7-of-10 from the foul line.
Denmon paced Missouri, which extended its school-record non-conference home win streak to 59 games, with 11 second-half points.
The Tigers have won all six meetings with the Redhawks...Haith was hired as Missouri's 17th head coach on April 5, 2011. He entered the season with a 129-101 career record as a head coach, all coming at Miami (Fla.)...The Tigers' last non-conference home loss came against Sam Houston State in the 2005-06 season opener.
- SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE: 68
Nov 11 9:57 PM
- SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE: 36
Nov 11 8:51 PM
- SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 11 8:06 PM
- Missouri players Isabell, Wright decide to transfer Mar 15
- Anderson gets vote of confidence from athletic director Mar 9
- Missouri says F D'Angelo Allen plans to transfer Feb 29
- Missouri dismisses junior guard Wes Clark Feb 16
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy Feb 9
- Banned Missouri booster says he meant no harm Jan 19
- Missouri admits NCAA hoops violations, vacates '13-14 season Jan 14
- Missouri at a glance Oct 29
- Missouri adds new faces, still picked to finish last in SEC Oct 29
- Turnovers cost Missouri in loss to Arkansas Feb 18
- No. 18 Arkansas plays host to Missouri Feb 18
- Kentucky tops Missouri Jan 30