No. 5 Syracuse opens season with win over FordhamNov 13, 2011 - 12:27 AM Syracuse, NY (Sports Network) - Kris Joseph had 16 points, Dion Waiters scored 14 and No. 5 Syracuse opened the 2011-12 season with a 78-53 victory over Fordham at the Carrier Dome.
Brandon Triche finished with nine points, seven rebounds and three assists for the Orange (1-0), who compiled a 27-8 record last season and lost to Big East foe Marquette in the third round of the NCAA Tournament.
Chris Gaston and Bryan Smith both scored 13 points for the Rams (0-1), who have lost their last 54 games against ranked opponents.
With the Orange ahead by only two points at 9-7, Waiters nailed a three- pointer to ignite 12-1 run that enabled the home team to take control of the game.
Syracuse led by as many as 18 points in the first half when Scoop Jardine's layup made it 30-12.
Fordham closed to within 13 at halftime, but Syracuse gradually pushed its lead to 26 at 62-36 on Waiters' jumper with 6:56 remaining. The Orange's advantage reached 30 on four occasions down the stretch.
"I thought our defense was good. I think Fordham is a pretty good basketball team, but I think our defense was good. We didn't give them a lot of easy looks," said Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim.
C.J. Fair, one of 11 different players to score for Syracuse, posted nine points and five rebounds...The Orange improved to 32-4 in season openers under Boeheim...The last time Fordham beat a ranked team was on February 26, 1978, when the Rams defeated then-No. 18 Georgetown...Fordham was 7-21 last season.
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25